Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have tried the Gold checking solution and scratch pad and seems to work pretty good. The Silver solution on the other hand is
a bit in the fuzzy area to me at this point. I scratch a line and put drop on line, but cannot tell if it turns red or not. Just really
haven't notice it doing much at all,, even knowing it says .925-925 on the piece. Can anyone tell me what to look for on this test.

Thank you !!

Dennis

Last edited:
Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
What kind of item is this? Pic of marking?

Also, "9.25" is not a standard marking of purity for sterling silver. The standard numerical markings for sterling silver are ".925", "925", and to a much lesser extent, "92.5". If your post is not a typo on your part, it may be that the item is not silver at all, with the mark having another purpose in identification.

Having never used an "off the shelf" test kit, I can not give an opinion as to what the silver testing solution you have should indicate. Different solutions from different sources will give different results. Most silver test solutions have a nitric acid base, with various buffers within the solution to give specific results based on approximate purity of the silver being tested. Do you have the instructions that came with your test kit?

Time for coffee.

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of item is this? Pic of marking?

Also, "9.25" is not a standard marking of purity for sterling silver. The standard numerical markings for sterling silver are ".925", "925", and to a much lesser extent, "92.5". If your post is not a typo on your part, it may be that the item is not silver at all, with the mark having another purpose in identification.

Having never used an "off the shelf" test kit, I can not give an opinion as to what the silver testing solution you have should indicate. Different solutions from different sources will give different results. Most silver test solutions have a nitric acid base, with various buffers within the solution to give specific results based on approximate purity of the silver being tested. Do you have the instructions that came with your test kit?

Time for coffee.

Thanks ???

You sure got a way with words......:notworthy:

typo- corrected.....

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The thread would have better continuity if you had simply added an edit at the bottom of your original post, but the error is now corrected and we can move on to determining the problem with understanding results of your test solution. As I posted above, I have no experience with "off the shelf" test solutions. Given a little time, a few others will chime in with opinions regarding testing and interpretation of results.

As to having a way with words, an acquaintance had told me many times that words mean things. He also has repeated the old adage that wise men speak when they have something to say and fools talk because they have to say something. I find myself somewhere between with aspects of both.

Since a stroke a few years ago, I have had to become more precise in expressing my opinions and advice. I not longer have to ability to be both precise and concise in writing or speech, so I try to be precise so as not to confuse myself or others. Often, however, I am given to descriptions that are far lengthier than necessary. Still, I often get my point across.

Time for more coffee.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't just scratch a pencil thin line.....give yourself a scratch mark that the drop has enough to cover.
SS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't make just a scratch on the stone, I put down a 4 lane highway with a center lane for turns. If you look back at the test item you don't really see any sign you scratched it, not in my eyes anyway.

If I put down a drop of the solution, it is to me deceptive. I put the nozzle to the stone and run a wide line across the scratch for very clear results.

I'm using the PuriTEST Solutions 6 pack Gold/Silver/Platinum.

If I use the silver test bottle I'm not really seeing clear indications of silver content. But, I saw a tip on Youtube to use the 18k bottle, and from that I see very clear results. Turns a very pretty light blue.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Be aware, that whatever/whereever you're testing will show a slight stain.

Yes on that! I had a junk silver dollar of which I questioned authenticity, and put a drop on the dollar. I'd of had to polish the dollar to get that ugly mark off it. But it did turn out to be silver.

Morale of the story, like Skippy said, be realistic about where you're going to do the test on the item. Stains stand out!

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Dennis,
I have a kit too and like you the silver is a little confusing, I'm going to work with it and see how it goes,
Let you know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread