Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The park was busy with detectorists today. When I arrived, Tim was already hunting and he was expecting a friend to join him. When they left, our Club president, Gary, arrived and over the next hour and a half I saw two others join him. As Tim and his friend were preparing to leave we compared finds. At that point I had two marbles, a .22 casing, and a piece of a metal toy. Tim did have a coin and it's an 1882 Indian. I told them I didn't want to leave until I had found at least one Indian. The area I was gridding wasn't giving me any coins so I moved on to another part of the walkway and dug what appears to be a smashed musket ball; the dark brown toning on the lead is almost identical to the finish on mini-balls I'd dug last year at Patterson Park. The next target after the musket ball was my Indian, an 1882, and very worn on the obverse. After that there was one more marble to be found. The first marble was the green swirl and was co-located with the .22 casing. The second marble was with a piece of plated metal and appears to be glazed porcelain rather than glass. The last marble, the blue swirl, was in a hole with deep iron. The one target that had me thinking "silver" was the play money; it was deep and shiny. So, the streak continues to 9 in a row and now the Indian total for December 2016 is 16. Thanks for checking out the pics.

P.S.
The part to a metal toy is the rider's leg and part of the body of a horse.
Lettering on the pottery reads "GTRI" above and "NHOL" below. I checked the hole for other pieces, but none were there, so the mystery remains.
Finds.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 11
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the IH run! Looks like you found a few nice keepers. :occasion14:

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Professor! Someone told me today to set my detector for "all metal", to which I replied "mine's set for all marble".:happysmiley:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on keeping the Indian streak going!! I only find a few marbles but always think they're cool finds when I do.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell Tim I said hi.
Nice going buddy!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice hunt, McCDig!! Congrats on the continued streak of Indians!!
I like the marbles and enjoy finding them.........

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Art! Used the spit and rub technique in the field on that Indian since the obverse is very worn. That was enough to see that it's an 1882.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx vpnavy! We'll see what hunt 10 results bring; last three hunts there's been just a single Indian per.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Chizzy! Can't recall if I ever had a 3 marble hunt before. I agree that's it's awesome to turn out a plug and see one in the hole.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Treblehunter! Will say "hey!" to Tim. That Indian came after I was 3+ hours into the hunt. Lots of deep iron here.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx deershed! I like 'em all, but that porcelain marble looks to be the oldest, probably 1800s is my guess.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ATW! Will try for hunt number 10 next week sometime. I mentioned that Tim was there when I arrived yesterday. In the course of our conversation he mentioned that he and his buddy and dug a number of silver coins from the south side of the walkway. These are ones I missed and I think you know the feeling. Can't complain, though, because I know I've dug about 8 silver coins, a silver ring, pin and locket from this area since March.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are an "Indian Killer" McCDig. I bet you thought you dug a 1/2 real when you saw the shiny edge of that play money.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx L-D! Yep, I was positive I had silver. What a stinker of a find! Nice deep play money. LOL!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a whole tribe that's funny I never and I mean very rare to see any one with a detector I me 1 person SD51 is his username Steve great guy did some hunts together that's it though......Great finds my friend keep it up Thanks for always posting this snow sucks I cant even see the ground rrrrrrrr

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tommy! Yes, you've had the deep freeze set it. We had just two days last week with temps staying in the 20s, but that's it. When I detected Tuesday AM there was frost on the ground, but no snow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread