9 silvers today incl. Barber quarter and SLQ

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
i drove up to LA with Dana Point Val yesterday to hit an old barrio park. soon, captn fi(dan), goldenapples(jon) and tristan joined us. i started hunting around 7 am and had three mercs, one rosie, a silver ring and 23 wheats by noon. by this time dan, jon and tristan all had to leave, and val and i were still ready for more. i suggested we get lunch, then hit one of our other barrio parks- one that we have been kicked out of before.

so we get to this other park and we start hunting. i'm looking around for the first thirty minutes, looking to see if maintenence or park patrol is nearby, but we didn't have any problems all day. it's pretty slim for the first hour, with only a few wheats. val turns to me and says, "let's switch machines..." so i start swinging his sturdy SE and he's swinging my wobbly XS, and he calls me over to listen to a signal he's marked.i barely hear it...it's tough. i may have passed it. so we give each other back our machines, and he proceeds to dig up a wonderful coin that i'll let him post. nevertheless, it refueled our otherwise empty tanks- up to this point i was kind of thinking we should leave, that we're not going to find much...

so now we're amped up with val's great find and i start to hunt with newfound vigor. i find a little 6'x6' scrape along one of the paths. this is pretty exciting given the age of the park. so i start digging every coin signal in the little scrape and after a few memorials and clad dimes and zincs, out pops a '58 rosie. sweet. i recheck the hole and there's another signal! then i dig out a dirt crusted silver quarter. not knowing what it was, i ran over to val and showed him. while wiping the dirt off, i thought for sure it was a washington, being in the hole with a rosie. but it was a 1925 SLQ!

a quick high five and i was back to the scrape. two more wheats is all that was left. i started detecting the grass slope next to where the scrape was. i got a great, faint, deep signal and proceeded to dig. the ground here is hard. about four inches down there's a layer of thick clay and rocks. i tell you this because this is my excuse for scratching the holy hell out of the 1892s BARBER QUARTER that was at the bottom of my hole! oh, man- i murdered the reverse of this baby. like i was in a slasher flick. killed it.

we left the park around 7:30. another 11+ hour day. here are the totals:

1 '92s Barber Quarter
1 '25 Standing Liberty Quarter
3 mercs
2 rosies
2 silver rings
40 wheats
2 extremely calloused and sore hands

HH, Mike

Attachments

• tnet1.JPG
    tnet1.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 762
Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Great day for you, Mike!! It was tiring for me on the hill yesterday morning for 5 hrs, especially with a strained back.

Thanks for giving me a live update of your barber quarter dig. Now I know how Jon feels when I text him all my silver finds while he's at work... :P

I knew that second barrio park still has good finds left in it. Glad you guys scored some oldies there!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
oknorom

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
here you go, dan!

Attachments

• bqclose.JPG
    bqclose.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 716

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Great batch of finds.

That is some acidic soil. Those silvers got eaten up pretty good. Were there alot of pines around.

HH Jer

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Wow Mike you ripped up a new one as usual. I think I might be able to find one of those old coins at Mc Park, if you guys left me one :thumbsup:. I haven’t hit it as of yet but I might.:icon_sunny:

Outstanding rusults man. Thanks for sharing.

Formula1BMW

May 29, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Great finds, love that Barber quarter, too bad about scratching it. Oh well, there are still more out there waiting.. :D

West Coast Fever

May 13, 2008
SF South Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Wow,

Where can I get lessons. I get all the clad I ever wanted, but the real stuff escapes me. I must be doing something wrong. I go to some of the oldest places around here, but never get that kind of find. You guys rock. I need lessons. I am in Northern Cal (yeah, thats right, Norcal baby!)

congrats on the finds. I hope I can live long enough to see that kind of talent with a detector.

Dave

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300
West Coast Fever said:
Wow,

Where can I get lessons. I get all the clad I ever wanted, but the real stuff escapes me. I must be doing something wrong. I go to some of the oldest places around here, but never get that kind of find. You guys rock. I need lessons. I am in Northern Cal (yeah, thats right, Norcal baby!)

congrats on the finds. I hope I can live long enough to see that kind of talent with a detector.

Dave

Although there is alot of skill involved with knowing your machine and recognizing signals, most of the trick of finding old coins is waving your coil over them. I'm by no means an expert, but the Barber quarter I dug two weeks ago was the same depth or shallower as alot of clad that I've dug. Alot of old peenies show up in the nickel/pulltab range when they get deeper too. Persistence is the name of the game. Just when you're asking yourself "why do I waste my time with this thing", you dig something that keeps you going. Its not unlike a heroin addiction except that you can catch the dragon every once in awhile.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
oknorom

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Bartman said:
Nice finds, that SLQ looks in good shape. You going to try and clean her up at all?
hi bartman
no I probably won't clean either one up. I generally like to keep my finds in the state I found them in. Sometimes cleaning makes them too shiny and I absolutely do not like that look.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
WOW!! Super hunt and congrats on some nice coins, my favorite is that Standing Liberty!! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread