fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While taking pic's & looking for arrowheads yesterday, I was walking in a dry section of a local river, I saw this metal object & gave it a nudge with my boot, it was a tin can, the lid came off & it was (full to the brim with coins).
after collecting my wits about me, I started taking pic's, & hurried home to clean them.
The whole can was full of rust , & coins were even sticking together, so by noon the next day, (today), I finished cleaning them the best I can for now, they had been in a tobacco sack with a drawstring, in the can.
Totals were.............1 peace dollar
1 Silver coin from the Netherlands
4 walking liberty halves
10 mercury dimes
13 V nickels
1 Barber half dollar
2 Barber quarters
1 flying eagle quarter
94 Indian head pennies (oldest 1864)
9 buffalo nickels
4 recent nickels
15 foreign coins (nothing very good)
20 wheat pennies ( 30's, 40's, 1 shot with a bullet)
1 token (Good For 5 cents in trade), slick on the back
1 sheild nickel 1836 (the best I can tell)

Not a 'bad haul' for me. :P

Fossis.............

Attachments

• Found on the River 010.JPG
    Found on the River 010.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 10,292
  • Found on the River 011.JPG
    Found on the River 011.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 10,178
  • Money Finds 001.JPG
    Money Finds 001.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 10,954
Upvote 31
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
Now that is an amazing find! congratulations on finding what we all dream of. My first thought was unfortunately skeptical, then after seeing your pics I was blown away. I almost feel ashamed for my initial skeptical thoughts. Thanks for sharing with us.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silverseeker said:
Now that is an amazing find! congratulations on finding what we all dream of. My first thought was unfortunately skeptical, then after seeing your pics I was blown away. I almost feel ashamed for my initial skeptical thoughts. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks

Fossis...........

K

Kentucky Kache

Fossis, I agree that it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Unless of course, that guy was me. :laughing7: I'm guessing you'll do a lot more cache hunting now.

I hope the coins didn't have a connection to the dead body your friend found. :o

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well-deserved Fossis!!!! Geez man...a find of a lifetime. A huge congratulations is in order.

:wav: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob8: :blob10: :blob1: :wav:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Holy Samolians!!!!! Nice kick! Jgas

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I knew it was only a matter of time before you found something historic. :headbang:
As much as you love that ole river bank. I have been watching your post's for quite a while now.

Congratulations on a great discovery friend.

Mike

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Maybe not stolen but sent down the river in a flood at one point?
Either way, a heck of a find indeed! Maybe arrow points are second on the list now?

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
All that silver is a pretty sight... Congrats! I've found tin cans before but am still waiting for one full of money. :wink:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, OMG. As much as you poke around out there in them woods, it had to happen. Rascal. Seriously, warmest congratulations on a 'banner find'. Them folks are right, it couldn't happen to a better ol' boy. You have probably destroyed my marriage, as Maria wants to go over to Denver tomorrow, but I'm headin to Leadville with the DFX at full charge, and I'll kick everything I see. Hey, CurbDiggerCarl, I can tell you where they found a couple of gold coins out east of Leadville....but I won't. (heehee!)

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Congradulations Fossis! Not only do you contribute with your unique perspectives, but now with a find of a lifetime. Banner!!!!!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! :o What an awesome find! Huge congrats. :icon_thumright: :headbang: :headbang:

Shield nickels were minted 1866-1883, that may help in narrowing down the date. 1879, 1880 and 1881 have considerable value due to rarity with a few other dates being semi-key.

If you'd like any assistance in determining if any of the coins are scarce post a list here, I'd be happy to lend any knowledge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread