95 coins this morning... from one hole, heh

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
No, I don't think it's a cache, I'll explain why.

First some pictures.

95coins1.jpg

Here they are all laid out, the one off by itself is a nickel, all the rest are pennies.

95coins2.jpg

I pulled all of these out of a hole about the size of a dinnerplate.

I was detecting near a *public building* here in AZ, and I was getting a ton of single penny signals. (so many I considered marking them out so I could hunt for bigger stuff).

Then I got near to the edge of a sidewalk and BEEEEEEEEEP!.

THIS got my attention, heh. I almost thought it was a soda can at first since it was showing 0 inches depth and reading about 6x8 inches in size.. Trying the vibraprobe I found half a dozen pennies in the grass, as I kept digging more kept turning up.

Frankly there are probably 3 times this many left there, but I got tired of digging, lol (afterwards I notched out pennies and hunted for bigger stuff).

An older gentleman came by and noticed my find, he commented: "Well, right where that statue is (about 3 feet away) there used to be a low fountain".

I would bet money these are coins tossed towards the fountain that missed and fell into the grass.

That also explains all the single signals of pennies I noticed in the area.

Most of the dates I can read are in the 1970's and only a few are 80's or newer. I seriously doubt the area has been detected at all within the 30 years the building has stood there. I think I'll go back over the site in a jewelry-only mode tomorrow morning.

Anyway, it was a fun morning regardless of the weather: [Phoenix, Arizona] Cloudy, Currently: 30C (86F), High: 41C (105F), Low: 28C (83F), Feels Like: 30C (86F), Wind: calm, Humidity: 35%, Visibility: Unlimited, Sunrise: 5:45 am, Sunset: 7:25 pm. (The temp isn't bad in the morning, but the calm wind really makes it rough)

If anyone in Phoenix wants to know where I found these send me an e-mail and I'll take you there, especially if you have any kids that want to get started, it would be a real fun spot for them. :)

Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Well, someone's got to do it! Who said money doesn't grow on trees? I've seen the same thing near two basketball courts in my area where everyone throws their "small change" under nearby trees and have considered putting a box there labeled "small change drop off", yeah someone else might get it but it would keep the ground clear. Happy hunting!

Lowbatts, King of Run-on sentences!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a hole like this on 4th of July that must have produced at least 65 coins. I think I took out at least $6 in change out of that hole. Most coins I ever got out of one hole.

P

pcpacker

Lasivian,

Was that your xlt you were using? What were the VDIs you were getting, and how deep was the stash?

Pretty cool.

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Yeah, it was my XLT.

I don't know the VDIs offhand, I cancelled out pennies with the "learn reject" function.

They were anywhere from the surface to 6 inches down.

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
Pretty interesting, Did the gent tell you how long the fountain had been there?

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I know now that the fountain was original with the building 30 years ago and got taken out about 8 years ago.

W

W4UVV

Three weeks ago I noticed a local elementary school I previously had searched a couple of years ago had new plaground equipment. I was returning from a home construction site where I found nothing. I had forgotten to charge my XLT Spectrum's battery but I decided to stop anyway. From 11AM until 4 PM I found coins and everytime I thought I had throughly searched the area I found more coins. I had to stop when my XLT's battery read 6VDC and died. I found $13.89 in coins that day. I found $8.00 in quarters, a 5 peso mexican coin an arabic coin and miscellaneous dimes, nickels and pennies. The next Saturday I returned and found another $10+ plus in coins at the same location. I never have found so much money at one place at one time.
It has taken me about 6 years to finally maximize my XLT for coin detecting. The problem is the many user settings that can impact and the user not knowing or understanding the resulting relational impacts.. I was using a custom coin program I created when I made the finds. I do not display icons as that slows detection processing. I do use accept/reject certain specific VDIs so I don't waste time on iron trash in the ground. One downside is certain screwtops and aluminum cans and pieces of aluminum can display a correct VDI reading and you must dig. Recently there has been a rainy period where I live. I noticed that the VDI readings from wet soil will be different than typical. For example pennies read as low as the low 60s and quarters sometimes in the upper 80s. After I began finding coins, I disregarded all VDI displays and dug everything. Additionally I have revisited some earlier sites and found a few coins I originally had missed. Since I live in a Civil War area near Petersburg, I accept VDI values for typical Union and Confederate bullets and possible portions of them.
Another downside for any metallic object buried in this area is the soil tends to be very acidic and detrimental. Only
gold, bronze, silver, aluminum cans, pull tabs and screwcaps survive with little damage. Clad coins do not do well. One of the coins I found at the elementary school was a SC state quarter. It was so oxidized that I had to use a magnifying glass to id the reverse. That quarter was only a few years old.
Last week I found a 1942 Mercury dime about 4 inches down at a former local city golf course. I use a 6 inch coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions