985 INSIDE RING ??

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0449[1].JPG Find this ring on the beach last night it looks gold but has 985 on the inside. I tested with acid test all the way to 22k and there was no dissolving of metal. could it be 23k :icon_scratch:

Upvote 10

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really need to post a better clearer picture-S

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The item marked “Stratton England” and “995 948” is not solid gold. It’s cheap “gold tone”. Stratton was founded in 1860 as “Stratnoid”, initially making knitting needles. In 1920 they merged with Jarrett and Rainsford, to form “Jarrett, Rainsford and Laughton Ltd.", trading as “Stratton” and “Stratton of Mayfair.” In 1929, the company was headquartered at Alexandra Works, Kent Street, Birmingham, with London showrooms in Hamsell Street and Jewin Street.

Their main business was ladies’ compact cases but they also made lipstick tubes, trinket boxes, and costume jewellery, plus cufflinks, tie pins and such. Production was interrupted by the war when four of its five Birmingham factories were destroyed by bombing raids and they diverted to producing things for the war effort. By 1947, the company was operating from the Leominster Works, Lower Essex Street, Birmingham, and had London showrooms at Dean Street. The company changed hands several times before finally going out of business in 1997, but the “Stratton” name has since been resurrected under new ownership.

The number “995” has nothing to do with gold standards. It’s just the first part of a six digit Design Registration number. Registering a design is a form of copyright protection lasting for three years. I couldn’t find that particular number but I would expect a six-digit number beginning “995” to be post-war and I would estimate likely from the 1970s or thereabouts.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 807282 Find this ring on the beach last night it looks gold but has 985 on the inside. I tested with acid test all the way to 22k and there was no dissolving of metal. could it be 23k :icon_scratch:
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread