A 1 for 2 jobs or 2 for 2?

Heavy

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2008
Hello All,
Thought this would be a good place to find some advice. Up to now all Ive owned is a ML X-30 and have no complaints with it as a entire level machine. But now that I'm looking to make that always "agonizing" up grade I just wanted to see if you guys thought I should go with a straight land MDer with a proven track record and save for a quality beach machine as a future purchase? Or is there one you would suggest that's the best of both wolds? Also which of the more made for land detector would you say has above average success on the wet sand and surf? I know I'm asking for a lot here and feel I may know what many will say, but still would appreciate any/all information. I live in SE TX. where (correct if wrong) the soil mineralization doesn't appear to of the extream nature. To this point I have mostly hunted old homes, schools and parks etc... but can make it to the beach in a few hours. Being a P.E. teacher the summer months and Holidays should allow for plenty of beach hunting opportunity - just not sure the wife will be as generous... So far detectors like the AT Pro, SOV GT and a few from Tesoro have caught my interest - just wanted to throw it out there and see what y'all thought.

P.S. Just so you guys know - I'm aware there is no "HOLY GRAIL" of detectors .ie the find everything anywhere detector. Also to maximize success you have to learn what its telling you - speak its language.

Thanks Heavy

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is about a jack of all trades for the beach and land is the Sov GT for its ability to ignore small iron and still respond to other metals on top of the iron. It works very stable in the wet saltwater sand and does very well for relic and coin hunting as being fairly deep. For a time I also used a DFX but wet sand made it unstable where I hunted. The Excal is the waterproof version of the Sov GT, but the Sov GT is definitely the better on the land.

The new Garrett AT Pro is made for land and water hunting to only 6 feet, but that only matters if you someday want to dive. The jury is still out if it is worth all its good hype. I have one but am snowed in for now, but am waiting for warm weather.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread