Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Made it this week to Druid Hill in Baltimore City twice. On Tuesday I did not find much but did get a 1927 merc from a trashy area underneath a tree.
IMG_8091.JPG
Back there on Friday, I tried under the same tree and came up empty, so I gridded a hillside and ended up with five keepers:
a 3-cent nickel, flat button, .50 cal round ball (weighed at 212 grains), a no-date Buff, and a 1900 Barber dime. IMG_0942.JPG IMG_8095.JPG IMG_8094.JPG IMG_8092.JPG IMG_8093.JPG
The 3-cent nickel has a very fragile surface. Not much can be done to improve detail but you can make out the '1 8' in the date on the obverse and it is a figure facing left and the faint portion of Roman numeral 'III' on the reverse surrounded by a wreath. These are rare to find.

Last edited:
Upvote 19

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt! I’ve had some luck with cider vinegar and 3 Cent nickels and very mild scotch brite pad. I tend to be more aggressive with cleaning on toasty coins (figure I can’t make them worse and value is small). Drop n straight vinegar 10 seconds at a time, saturate pad with vinegar scrub, repeat until details and silvery appearance, then water bath and bit of olive oil to stop reaction. Congrats

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the recipe and encouragement. I will be using the coin on our Club's competition board at our January meeting. Perhaps after that I will try this method and see what comes of it.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ATW. This hillside has some potential, obviously. Great to see see silver again.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds! Still looking for my first 3-center of any kind after nearly 30 years..

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Randy. The iron nails will drive you crazy. I figure if I'm not digging some iron nails I may be passing up good targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread