Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A '49' kind of day

A '49' kind of day

I played a hunch today(Thursday) and went to a plot of ground near Lake Montebello in Baltimore. The houses nearby were built around 1920 so I thought there may be some older coins lying about. Before I get any further I'll say that my birthday falls on February 20th and the last two numbers of my five digit employee id are '49'. Keep those facts in mind as the story of today's hunt unfolds.
I did not find the anticipated silver coins, but there was quite a mix of targets and minimal trash, although there were several deep rusted objects recovered. Early in the hunt I got a banging signal and wondered if it may be trash, but the numbers were good so I dug it; this turned out to be a cache of clad pennies. See the leather pouch that they were jammed into. Later on I found an aluminum 'good luck' token that was not too readable until cleaned later on. Two more tokens were found, both Maryland Transit fares. There was an additional $1.69 in clad found, of which there were "4" nickels. There were "9" wheat pennies found, the oldest of which is dated 1913. Perhaps the best find of the day was a seashell-shaped sterling earring.
Once home the finds were cleaned and the good luck token revealed some telling information. It states that my lucky numbers are "4" and "9", that my lucky day is "Thursday" and all this for a birth sign "Pisces", right where my birthdate falls!
I could not make this up if I tried! All this occurred today, the "9th" day of the "4th" month of the year.

cache.jpg 1913wheat.jpg clad.jpg goodlucktoken.jpg mta_tokens.jpg Sterling earring.jpg wheats.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 5

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story with the hunt.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds, great story.....GREAT HUNT!!

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironic day...epic finds. Great Job...Brad

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang go buy a lottery ticket!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread