MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, :hello:

Hunted my front lawn once again. :icon_thumleft: I found a penny at 6-7 inches hard signal to lock onto. :headbang: Even with the 12x15 " SEF on the MXT... It could be worth $50.00 it is an 1866 IH penny! :o Here are some pictures, but they do the coin no justice. :dontknow: Its much nicer in person... :o I don't dig IH that much with such little corrosion. ??? Its all caked on dirt you see, minus the dots of rust. :icon_thumleft: I'm not to sure how to clean it, :icon_scratch: I never have very good results with old pennies and nickels. :dontknow: I don't really dare clean it much more... :help:

Enjoy the pics !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Attachments

• Lawn10 002.jpg
    Lawn10 002.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,562
  • Lawn10 004.jpg
    Lawn10 004.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,571
Upvote 0

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a good date. :thumbsup:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great IH :icon_thumleft: it looks fine i would not clean it any more Good hunt Dd60

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
You could try soaking it in peroxide. Don't put it in any cleaners though. It looks like it is in decent shape and is a good date for sure.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
OH YEAH ~ that's a great date for an Indian Head cent! NICE FIND MAN! WOOHOO!!!

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone !! :notworthy:

Likely the best IH i've ever found... :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Thanks again, :headbang:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have cleaned indians that looked like that and they came out real nice, dip q-tips in ammonia and gently roll the q-tips across coin and change to new q-tips as they turn dirty, it will not remove the patina only the crust.

congrats on a key date

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the semi IH! :thumbsup:

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Great find... This is what I have read on cleaning coins.

Although consulting a professional coin collector or dealer is strongly recommended when considering cleaning a coin, there is a method to clean coins that is recommended by the United States Mint. This method to clean coins consists of simply taking a piece of cotton that has been moistened and applying a paste that consists of baking soda and a small amount of water to the coin. Be careful to rub the coin gently to avoided damaging the coin's original finish. Harsh chemicals or cleaning methods like jewelry cleaners, sulfuric acids, vinegar, polishing cloths, hard bristled brushes, and rock tumblers must be avoided, if any of these harsh chemicals or cleaning methods are used when attempting to clean coins the coin will most likely be damaged and decrease in value.

Remember it is not recommended to clean any coin without assessing its value first, after the coin's value is known and has been identified--in most cases, cleaning valuable coins is not recommended even if the cleaning is done by a professional. The reason cleaning valuable, and in most cases old, coins is not recommended is because the value of most coins is judged by how the original condition is maintained.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hello everyone, :hello:

Hunted my front lawn once again. :icon_thumleft: I found a penny at 6-7 inches hard signal to lock onto. :headbang: Even with the 12x15 " SEF on the MXT... It could be worth $50.00 it is an 1866 IH penny! :o Here are some pictures, but they do the coin no justice. :dontknow: Its much nicer in person... :o I don't dig IH that much with such little corrosion. ??? Its all caked on dirt you see, minus the dots of rust. :icon_thumleft: I'm not to sure how to clean it, :icon_scratch: I never have very good results with old pennies and nickels. :dontknow: I don't really dare clean it much more... :help:

Enjoy the pics !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :notworthy:

:headbang:

That's a nice coin :o you will need to be carefull how you clean it, it looks like there is a lot of detail still to come :o but how you proceed is up to you, but I wouldn't go down the peroxide rout, as there doesn't seem to be any corrosion on the coin, :icon_scratch: I know what I would do, but this link might help :thumbsup:

http://www.dirtyoldcoins.com/restore/cleaning.html

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread