A BAD OMEN FOR ANOTHER SHOT AT HALF DOLLARS!!!

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, thought I'd try my luck at another two boxes of half dollars since we were in the new year and I had really bad luck for about 6 months last year finding hardly any silver. So I ordered two boxes that I picked up this morning. Bad omen when I was loading the first box into the car and saw a nice red R staring me in the face. First thought.....some of these are searched coins that got rerolled. Then, as you will see in the pictures, close to
the red R was another marked coin that you could see upon opening the box. Sigh....needless to say, there were an assortment of markings on several of the halves in both boxes and we got absolutely NO silver out of them. But on the good side we did find 3 solid gold anniversary halves out of the first box, what I considered unusual for all being in one box and the first time I have come across any of them. I guess our area just sucks and I think I will stick to trying to pull out cheaper silver at auctions (got a few coming up) and stashing it that way.

DSC09790.JPGDSC09788.JPGDSC09786.JPGDSC09785.JPG

Upvote 0
It's rare I don't find box with marked enders. Some still contain silver. Any given two half boxes are likely to be skunk or to only have 1-2 coins in them. if you want a lot of silver, you have to do BIG volume

They're plated, not solid gold. If they were solid gold, I'd be a very wealthy man.

I wish folks would stop saying "I saw marked coins so they must be searched". Chances are very high every nonsilver half you see in a box has been searched. It's what added between the searching that counts. You don't find silver in a box of marked coin because someone missed it, but because it was dumped into the system.
HH
enamel7

At least you had a shot at Silver, they weren't repacks. I've had to leave the bank with 4 boxes a few time knowing they were all already opened and searched. Very seldom that i have a box that doesn't have any marked coins in it, I actually find it strange to have a box with no marks in it. HH, Maverick.

Same story here 2 boxes today, One 67 to show for it.. Last week I was given coin lock bags and told the rolling machine was broken, this week nice tight wraps.. Hopefully makes it harder for people to re-roll in the same wrappers, I encourage these people to find a new dump bank or a new hobby.

With the re-rolling machine being down it taught me that the distributor is just re-rolling bags filled at banks. So if you find Ag it was dumped by a customer not sitting in a warehouse on a pallet somewhere.. I agree with silver for brains your only shot is getting a lot of boxes, Makes me wonder how many times we dump on each other.. I only search Brinks and dump Garda. Don't Dump Brinks Please:)

Dude, those are no where close to solid gold. At best they are plated with the very thinnest of gold plating. Maybe they are work .55 cents. Good keepers for a curiosity bag, if that is what you are into. I throw them back. Heck, I might have thrown those three back.

LOL...I know the coins are not solid gold!!! But I kept them just cause I have never gotten any in a box of halves before. I just did two boxes after the first of the year to see if things had improved any. Yes, I could spend every waking hour going through boxes but my experience here, and that of another CRHer here where I live only adds to my thoughts that we just aren't getting the silver here as they are in say PA or NJ or other states. Out of all the boxes I have searched since earlier last year only my very first box was good with about 26 keepers. Since then it has been skunk or one or maybe two...mostly skunk. I was not implying that the boxes I had were previously searched...only that I was getting a lot of marked coins in them which leads me to believe that there won't be much if any silver in them..and I was right. Nada, Zilch!! I'm just saying I have better luck buying Walking Liberties or Franklins or 40% Kennedys at local estate auctions than I do in the half boxes I have searched in the last year. And these are Loomis boxes from Wells Fargo.

So if I hang on to those solid gold plated rolls that have the US mint stamp on it and the years, they wont just combine into solid gold!?

At least you had a shot at Silver, they weren't repacks. I've had to leave the bank with 4 boxes a few time knowing they were all already opened and searched. Very seldom that i have a box that doesn't have any marked coins in it, I actually find it strange to have a box with no marks in it. HH, Maverick.

I'm with ya on that. usually no marks at all is a bad sign. That generally indicates that that box was packaged consisting entirely of part of a giant coin dump from a non-marker. A box containing silver usually has a healthy mix of everything

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back