A Badge of Bondage

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The detectorist find of an innocuous piece of rough-edged metal I am about to show you, will probably stir up a lot of emotions …

A Badge of Bondage | johnwinter.net
Thanks to TYLERBDAD of this forum for allowing me to highlight his rather special find!

PLEASE NOTE - I POSTED THIS HERE INADVERTENTLY - SEE CORRECT THREAD:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/488318-1833-slave-tag-charleston.html

Last edited:

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
The piece itself is nothing but a trinket if you will. It can't harm you, yet we associate it with a terrible time. Same as the white hood/robe, the Swastika, etc.
We lay blame on the piece/symbol when instead it should be placed on the folks involved with it.

We still to this day use tags to identify, my dog has to wear a tag, I have to wear one at work, I have to have one on my vehicles. The tag itself is not evil, but not saying the folks who require them to be used are not.

A bullet, an arrow, a pointed stick, a rock. All at one time or another involved in some nasty things. A trinket if you will of a terrible time. It's not the trinket, it's the folks who used them.

They are reminders, but only that. What we should remember is the folks involved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread