A better idea in a fishing magnet rig-You need to see this

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent hours watching my mag-fishing rig being dragged across a clear lake bottom right past good target items without connecting. After a number of pitches and finally the right orientation and the magnet grabbed the target. This told me that there had to be a better way than dragging a very strong neodymium magnet on its side, with its business end pointing back down the trail. A couple of home brew brackets and also watching a bunch of Euro-mag fishing videos using bottle floats, I came up with yet another means to keeping the magnet aimed down and increasing the efficiency of connecting by a large percent. My success with the first home brew trips showed me that I was moving in the right direction. A slow study while walking through my local Lowes store was all it took and I had the hardware (inexpensive) to build a truly more efficient rig using what I learned with the homebrew brackets I built. A quick on line order had me a couple of magnets in the 300 range with the beveled hole to marry up with the Lowes hardware and the project was built. Talk about being pleased with the results, I was and it even gave me the thought of passing it along to other mag-fishing enthusiast.

Check out this video.

https://youtu.be/M0gL6w7bMpc

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1/4 X20X 1 inch screws were a bit long so they were just to add space, plus the pulley assembly had a couple dimples on it that did not allow the magnets to seat flat against the sides. My setup that I use all the time does not have the washers, I just cut a bit of each screw so they did not hit each other in the center. With the washers it is a few minutes assembly where when you have to cut the screws it takes much longer time. Both ways work equal.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good! I watched the video and left a comment. Do you have a link to where one might purchase the magnets?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread