A big, heavy, chunk of silver, a watch, cellphone, designer sunglasses, and some clad

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first hunt since arriving in Arizona for the winter. Yesterday we went to a recreation area along the Salt River, in the Tonto National Forest n IMG_3161.JPG IMG_3162.JPG IMG_3163.JPG IMG_3164.JPG ear Mesa. We spent the morning in the campground area and found a little clad and a Boy Scout neckerchief slide. We had lunch and decided to go down into the river as the water level is down quite a bit, and the first major hit was the heavy silver Order of the Eastern Star necklace. I don't have my scale with me, but it is one heavy silver chain. It is marked 925 Italy, and cleaned up really nice using the aluminum foil and baking soda method. It has to be one of the heaviest chains I have ever dug. To give you an idea of the size, the medallion on it is the size of a half dollar. Then we found some more clad, a designer set of sunglasses that are toasted, A toasted cellphone, and a Timex Expedition watch, that I hoped hadn't gotten water inside. Wrong! It was toast inside. All in all it was a very productive day and I can't wait to get back up there again. Happy hunting and keep swinging.

Last edited:
Upvote 12

omegared31

Mar 12, 2015
Temperance, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.. That Boy Scout slide is it one piece in the back or is it the folding tabs kind? I have a one piece one so that dates it to pre-60s

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the one piece variety with folding tabs
Nice finds.. That Boy Scout slide is it one piece in the back or is it the folding tabs kind? I have a one piece one so that dates it to pre-60s

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey... I bet the same guy lost all that crap at one time. :)

Minus his wallet that is about everything a guy would have on him. heh

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I was doing some research about native American silver. You should research the old road stops where they sold along the highways! Just a thought! Happy hunting, thanks for sharing!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the chain will come in handy to pull a semi out of a snowbank.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love that necklace!
Masonic items here are not posted much.
That is a beauty!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll keep an eye out for the wallet the next trip up there
Hey... I bet the same guy lost all that crap at one time. :)

Minus his wallet that is about everything a guy would have on him. heh

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a National Forest and we are allowed to hunt the recreation areas for current coins and jewelry here in Tonto National Forest. Our MDing club regularly has outings at all the recreation areas.
Nice finds:icon_thumleft:

National Parks and MDin are not a good combo.

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a side note. We have no problems here hunting in the recreation areas around the lakes or the Salt river in the Tonto National Forest. They do frown on hunting ghost or mining towns within the National Forest. That is no no !

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Just a point of clarification, your necklace is a tetragrammaton charm/talisman (the tetragrammaton is from Greek meaning "consisting of 4 letters" which referred to the Hebrew name for God). While the Order of Eastern Star (a Masonic organization which has plenty of religious symbolism of its own) utilizes a 5 pointed star similar to the front side of your charm the meaning here is a bit different. There are several examples of the same charm with the same markings/symbols/writings both within and outside of the star.

Neat find!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good idea, but you have to be careful you are not on reservation ground. That is one place that is off limits.
Nice finds, I was doing some research about native American silver. You should research the old road stops where they sold along the highways! Just a thought! Happy hunting, thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, my friend. Things are a little different here in the National Forest. It is extremely hard to find places to detect here, as there is so much ground owned by the National Gov't, and also state gov't . State Trust ground is even more restricted to travel on or use for camping or 4 wheeling. The Wild West is not what it used to be!
Cool finds John,, & thanks for the clarification on the rules governing MD'ing in Tonto National Forest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread