Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
And a lesson to go with it!

A new thrift store opened in our tiny town. Yesterday after breakfast my wife and I stopped for a look. Wanted to see what they had and support a new business. Our town is NOT thriving. A lot of businesses have closed, moved on or are for sale. So we walked in, said hello and cruised around.

I spotted this coin in a case and asked to see it. It was in a tattered cardboard/plastic sleeve so I didn't want to drop it for a sound test. Weight was good, color was good, date...1963 so I asked how much. Fellow behind the counter said $5 after telling me it was in great condition. I pointed out the heavy scratch on the obverse and countered $2. I figured what the heck...

He said OK so I paid him and walked out with my Big Mexican Silver Peso. First I had ever seen. As soon as I got home I looked it up and found that it did indeed contain silver; a full 10%!!:BangHead: The lesson...know before you buy. Un Peso 002.JPG

Upvote 3

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't sweat it, I like this coin because it is a) huge, b) has some silver content, and c) the subject matter of the art is fun. I actually own one myself which I bought simply because I thought it was an interesting coin. Old Mexican coins are great conversation pieces. Keep it on the coffee table and it is sure to draw a question or two.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You took a page right out of my book! That is exactly how I operate. If I had been there, I would have out bid you for that coin!

At least you only have $2.00 in the deal.

OP
OP
Greastart

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't sweat it, I like this coin because it is a) huge, b) has some silver content, and c) the subject matter of the art is fun. I actually own one myself which I bought simply because I thought it was an interesting coin. Old Mexican coins are great conversation pieces. Keep it on the coffee table and it is sure to draw a question or two.

Don't misunderstand, I like it for all of the reasons you mention. We spend as much time as possible in Baja. Now I KNOW what years to look for in my quest for silver. Next time I see one I'll have a better idea of what it's worth. That's the lesson. For $2 it was a good deal and I'm way happy to have it.

OP
OP
Greastart

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You took a page right out of my book! That is exactly how I operate. If I had been there, I would have out bid you for that coin!

At least you only have $2.00 in the deal.

Tom, If you find yourself in the upper north east portion of California, (near Mt. Lassen) look us up. We'll take you to breakfast and then to the thrift store where I found it, promise!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread