a big problem with coil covers

PAPPYGOL

May 15, 2008
niles ohio
Detector(s) used
grand master hunter cx2 ,,. , fisher 1235x 1236x2, 2 coin computers, garrett freedom 3.
last month i bought 2 fisher 1235x machines and a 1236x. all from one guy. the only problem is i only got 1 coil with the lot. i posted some ads to buy coils. i bought one thursday locally. it was an 8 inch spider coil with a coil cover. i put it on one of the 1235 machines. turned it on. the machine went breserk. i thought. sh**. i got a bad coil. because i tested all the machines with the coil i got with it. so for fun i put it on the other 2 machines. same thing. they went crazy. yesterday. i decided to put the coil cover on my other good coil. when i took it off. there was a mess of dirt and crap stuck between the coil and cover. guess what. it must have been minerized soil or magnetic. i washed it off and now the coil works perfect. i threw the coil cover in the garbage. took all the coil covers off all my other machines. and put them in the garbage. i will never use another coil cover again. i went and bought 3 tubes of 5 minute epoxy. coated the bottom of my coils with that.. when it wears down. ill give it another coat. i will never get another false signal form minerized soil or iron soil stuck between my coil and cover again. :thumbsup:

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
I've been using marine epoxy for about a year now.
I got sick of breaking coil covers trying to get them off to clean.
With the epoxy, NO dirt gets in there, and it seems to last forever too.
If you do rough woods and foundation hunting, where you're banging around rocks etc., sometimes it chips off a little. But all you gotta do is touch it up a little again.
But if you're just hunting grassy lawns, or beaches, the epoxy lasts forever.
I have no need for coil covers anymore either. :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using marine epoxy is one of the ways to protect the coil from abrasions. Howerver to do it to a detector that is under warranty it voids the warranty. So if it is a new detector you are stuck with cleaning out the coil cover or taking a chance by not using it. Manufacturers can make the coil thicker then people would complain that it was heavy and the company wouldn't make extra money.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Live and learn, I haven't used coil covers for years.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Sandman said:
Using marine epoxy is one of the ways to protect the coil from abrasions. Howerver to do it to a detector that is under warranty it voids the warranty.

Ah, very good point Sandman. I guess it's not good advise for folks with brand new (or still under warranty) stuff. I didn't think of that. None of my gear is under any warranties anymore.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Rhino lineing for truck beds on my coils , I dont mess around with covers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread