A Blackrock Concave and other artifacts found at same site

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pics of finds that were made in 1985. My original in-situs were taken with a 35mm and I don't have them on digital.A friend was told of this place by a person who happened on it and didn't know or care about artifacts. He found, I am told, 2 crescents one of which sounded huge. I never got to see them ever. We went to the spot which had burned off previously and could see a slight rise and most artifacts were found in probably a 300x500 foot area around this rise.We made two trips to the place and found most everything the first time.One of my first finds was the BRC and it had been in the center of a burned greasewood bush.It was a fun time .Here are some pics though I found more than what is in these pics.

Attachments

• P1000181.JPG
    P1000181.JPG
    529.7 KB · Views: 289
  • P1000171.JPG
    P1000171.JPG
    799.2 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy good stuff, Wels! Could the round stone thing be a weathered banner core?

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a day to remember!
First of all, I've gotta say GOOD job on the picture taking. You used the light very well to accentuate the Paleo napping, especially in the first picture. Most people don't even dream of a hunting day like that, your quite the holdout! I want to buy that property[emoji6].
I wonder if the yellow piece could be made of noviculite which is translucent and has been found out west before.
Do you still possess those artifacts? I sold my best ones in times of need years ago.
Sandchip makes an excellent observation on the pumice (like) core shaped object. Hollow core drilled Bannerstones do leave behind round cores as sandchip mentioned, However I don't recall Bannerstones ever being found in Oregon or the general Northwest for that matter, but I may not be up to date on the latest discoveries.
Regardless, that's the hunt of a lifetime, congratulations!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
welsbury

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy good stuff, Wels! Could the round stone thing be a weathered banner core?
Cannot say for sure but I do not think so. Have never seen an object that had been reed drilled,have never seen in these parts bannerstones like they have in further east USA.There are some atlatl weights that have a hole but these have been drilled by stone. It is made of a relatively soft stone, a welded tuff I think you would call it. It is very round though but slightly tapered.It is fun to speculate, I thought maybe a game piece.

OP
OP
welsbury

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a day to remember!
First of all, I've gotta say GOOD job on the picture taking. You used the light very well to accentuate the Paleo napping, especially in the first picture. Most people don't even dream of a hunting day like that, your quite the holdout! I want to buy that property[emoji6].
I wonder if the yellow piece could be made of noviculite which is translucent and has been found out west before.
Do you still possess those artifacts? I sold my best ones in times of need years ago.
Sandchip makes an excellent observation on the pumice (like) core shaped object. Hollow core drilled Bannerstones do leave behind round cores as sandchip mentioned, However I don't recall Bannerstones ever being found in Oregon or the general Northwest for that matter, but I may not be up to date on the latest discoveries.
Regardless, that's the hunt of a lifetime, congratulations!!
Thank you Mark for kind words on pics glad you liked them.Yes I am a holdout, don't want to show it all at once!I do still have everything I ever found. Can't imagine getting rid of anything, too hard to come by.As far as Sandchips thoughts you can see my reply to him. The material on the yellow point I always thought was agate or chalcedony though I sure am not an expert on stone types. If we have novaculite around here I do not know possibly it is the same stuff just a different name.Those pics you showed are outstanding, make your day to find any one of those! Thanks again for reply. I'll pull some more stuff out of the hole and show it.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing those. Absolutely beautiful pieces.

OP
OP
welsbury

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top left hand picture, looks almost like a re-sharpened Haskett, especially being basal ground half way up.....beautiful piece.
Thanks T.C. It does have that look like a Haskett, expanding body to tip,but the flaking should be more percussion, and it is rather thin too,IMO.The Hasketts I have and have seen all have heavy percussion flaking in a very controlled way and are a thicker ,more oval shape.
My sister and brother-in-law live in Klamath and are responsible for this disease I have of obsession for artifacts.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks T.C. It does have that look like a Haskett, expanding body to tip,but the flaking should be more percussion, and it is rather thin too,IMO.The Hasketts I have and have seen all have heavy percussion flaking in a very controlled way and are a thicker ,more oval shape.
My sister and brother-in-law live in Klamath and are responsible for this disease I have of obsession for artifacts.

I probably know them....I'll pm you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread