Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose.....the trans Atlantic flight was a smooth one and in no time Special K had picked me up at Gatwick and we were on our way to a rally. Even though I had not slept for over a day I was eager to hit the fields as the sun slowly rose.
Upon arrival at the field I saw that we were not a lone!
P9130004.jpg

Jim hit the field with his ETrac and I the AT Pro and it wasn't long before we both had a few "bits and bobs." On the slope of the hill on one field a whack of gold staters were found...but not by us!

Seven hours later we returned to the camp area for a tea and chat. Met a lot of interesting folks with Jim chatting up a storm!
P9120001.jpg

There was some real talent at the dig and I don't mean on the field as one of the bouys produced a work of art made entirely of metal from the scrap barrel at a previous rally! Incredible piece and apparently a Spitfire he had made was shown in the Searchers magazine!
P9140009.jpg

The sun slowly sank as we headed to our accommodations signifying the end of day one.
P9190031.jpg

Up early the next day we were treated to a traditional English Breakfast that was more than enough to fuel our swinging for the day while outside we chatted it up with a pair from the Netherlands who had also made the journey for the rally.
P9140006.jpg

Next day was a tad leaner with just a few good coins found and Jim and I headed to his humble abode where I took a fancy to his back yard which had a nice pear and an even nicer apple tree which I raided every morning.
P9150012.jpg

Next outting was at Skegness which had gone to the birds....or should I say gone to the bird bath!
P9180023.jpg

Finds were few but the weather and company was great. Quite the view with the wind farm which can be seen behind Jim as he swings his monster coil.
P9190024.jpg

The Guinness was going down smoothly each night but this bouy was pumped even if a tad groggy the next morning. Wednesday promised to be a special day as Richard from Central Searchers took Jim and I to a few spots. Here he is with his pets. Mind you this bouy would not go near those things save for them coming out of a frying pan.
P9170019.jpg

Was a splendid outing with all of us hitting a Roman along with the usual bits and bobs. Thanks a ton for taking us along Richard!

Somewhat of a day off was the next. Had to do the dew and do the shopping for Marie and my daughter. This shopping thing is about as pleasant as detecting in a field filled with waist high thorn bushes....but it had to be done. Included just a few "touristy shots here....enjoy! The last photo was taken at an antique shop that was so full that one could barely move....but treasures could be found!
P9160017.jpg

P9160016.jpg

P9180021.jpg

Back to the fields the next day with the bouys from Jim and CJ's club.
P9200033.jpg

We stopped along the way for breakfast and let me tell you me son this is not a place one would think about not paying their tab. Some heavy stuff out front for those of thinking of gobbling and go!
P9200032.jpg

P9200034.jpg

P9200035.jpg

Nice bunch of bouys here but only managed a photo of their "good side" as we prepare for the onslaught of the field youz.
P9200037.jpg

Again it was a super day and CJ and I had a good go of it with the usual finds. Of course we had to leave half the field to Special k so that we wouldn't be nipped as he swung his huge coil. Day ended all too quick and the Wheat sheaf Pub lasted too long.

Monday was a real treat as I got to go to Jim's club meeting with a great dedicated and sincere lot. Club is small but large in spirit. Highlight of the night was a few of a beautiful 22K ornate gold piece with a stone that a member is sending off to the coroner. One can only dream of finding a piece like that.

Near the end of the meeting (managed a mere 4 Guinness in that time) the club president presented me with a nice gift knowing that I am a Garrett only swinger..a classic!
P9270059.jpg

P9270061.jpg

Tickled pink youz. Also presented me with a nice assortment of replica Roman silvers.
P9270057.jpg

Sadly my days were numbered in the UK but like MacArthur said at Corrigador......"I shall return." Saying thanks to my host Jimmy K seems shallow and can't wait to git the bouy this side of the big pond.

Finds were plentiful. To Jim they were routine but to this bouy true treasures.
47 buttons including a few military and livery ones.
P9270046.jpg

Lead finds including buttons, bail seals and this and that.
P9270049.jpg

Buckles.
P9270053.jpg

Dewies or as the Kippers say "Bits and Bobs"
P9270051.jpg

52 coins from Roman up through the ages including my first bun copper .
P9270044.jpg

My first cut quarter and my only eyeball find of the trip!
P9270054.jpg

Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't mention the rain!!!??? Isn't that what those folks from across the pond are famous for? :)
Looks like you had some great hunts, and some great company, too. That is the neighborly thing to do,
invite others to go hunting with you.
Like the buttons. Get a few of those over this way, too......a bit different than those, but buttons, just the same.
Good hunts.....good story. :thumbsup:

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Wow! What a great story, and fantastic pictures. Sounds like you had a great time, and even managed to have a few during the off hours. Thanks for sharing. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Glad you had such an excellent and successful time! Thanks for sharing your finds and photos, and your funny, delightful descriptions! Andi

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for sharing Leslie. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Really enjoyed your trip ... and some interesting finds there too!

HH Joe

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are replica Iron Age (Celtic) Silver Units of the Iceni :wink: :icon_thumright:

Its good over here, isn't it :laughing9:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your cut Qrter is a Short Cross Type with:

[ O]N.LV[ND]

So its a London Mint of ? (what is on the other side)

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
That was a great 7 days of hunting. I stayed next to you at the Elms. Looks like you found some nice stuff . I found about the same as you except for the silver Roman which has yet to be I.D. ed. Maybe a return trip is in order.

Les

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggerfororo said:
That was a great 7 days of hunting. I stayed next to you at the Elms. Looks like you found some nice stuff . I found about the same as you except for the silver Roman which has yet to be I.D. ed. Maybe a return trip is in order.

Les

why hasn't it been IDed yet, should be easy enough.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wanted to go :'( nice finds! a dream for me before I die is to go hunt a English field

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
CRUSADER said:
diggerfororo said:

Les

why hasn't it been IDed yet, should be easy enough.
I hadnot looked it up yet. (had to find my books) The I.D. is Geta but the reverse is one I can't find. I will try and scan it and post it later.

Les

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you had an awesome time and some fantastic digs. Love the UK and I am very envious of their history. Not crazy about the dark beers though. Carlsberg is my favorite. :headbang:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yo Leslie-I feel as if I was there with you because of the great story and beautiful pics. Looks like you guys had a splendid time with some very historic recoveries. Looked like an enjoyable adventure. HH Buddy, Quindy.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Leslie it looks like you had a good trip with lots of nice friends and finds. love the bell of course!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread