A brain teaser,some more good varieties,and two questions (Updated..interesting)

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
So tonight I went trough my two boxes of halves and ended up with (according to coinflation) $118.55 in silver halves which includes 40% and 90%. The brain teaser is:
How many 40% did I find and how 90% did I find? (hint coinflation has silver at a closing price of $13.98/oz)

Now for my varieties that I found.

(1)1976d reverse cud at 2 o'clock (sorry Goes4ever, I'll try and save some for you)
(1)1987p

Now the two questions.

1. Do you think the 1979 is a strike through error?

2. I also found a 1971 that made a completely different sound when sorting (almost a silver sound but not quite). It is not a magicians coin, I know what those sound like. The interesting thing about this half is it only weighs 8.8g. That is just a little heavier than a clad quarter (5.67g) but lighter than a clad half (11.3g). What do you think is up with this half? Struck on a wrong planchet? Something else?

Attachments

• DSC01787.JPG
    DSC01787.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC01788.JPG
    DSC01788.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC01789.JPG
    DSC01789.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC01790.JPG
    DSC01790.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC01791.JPG
    DSC01791.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC01792.JPG
    DSC01792.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC01786.JPG
    DSC01786.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 373
Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A brain teaser, some more good varieties, and two questions

are u kidding me........ANOTHER 76 CUD????

your one lucky guy!....lol
sure odd about the weight of that 71........

OP
OP
Ifyndit

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Re: A brain teaser, some more good varieties, and two questions (with pictures)

I also posted this on the Coin forum and got an answer for my 1971D 8.8 gram half.

Kennedy struck on quarter stock
January 06, 2009
by By Ken Potter

A Numismatic News reader from Mississippi submitted an interesting Kennedy half dollar find. While searching through circulated rolls he found a 1971-D struck on a planchet of quarter-dollar thickness or what is called a “Wrong Stock” error. It weighs 8.8 grams versus the normal 11.34 grams for a clad half.

In this case, the Mint actually punched half dollar diameter blanks from a coil of clad strip that was intended for quarters. In general, wrong stock errors are not common, but when they do occur because of the nature of the error where many blanks can be punched out in short order, many can get out unless caught early and suspect batches of blanks scrapped.

The most common of the wrong-stock errors are the 1970-D quarters struck on dime stock planchets. Tens of thousands of these got out that year and still get found in circulation from time to time. They are most often found when they are rejected by a vending machine or coin counting machine.

Wrong stock errors struck on planchets that are thicker than normal are typically well struck while those struck on thinner than normal planchets are usually weakly struck, particularly on the lettering around the rims as we see on the example shown here.

None of the wrong-stock half dollars are particularly common but the 1971-D on quarter stock is the most frequently encountered according to CONECA president, Mike Diamond. He figures uncirculated examples to be worth about $150.

Back in June I reported upon a collector finding a 1980-P Kennedy half dollar struck on a Susan B. Anthony planchet. Since then I have had a report of another being found by Combined Organizations of Numismatic Error Collectors of America member Ken Glickman in October. The story of his find can be seen on the CONECA Web site at www.conecaonline.org.

I suggest that collectors keep checking those halves and let me know what you find.

Keep an eye out and listen for that unusual high pitched ring when sorting through your halves. You "edge searchers" may want to reconsider how you search for keepers :D.

Finding a few of these errors may actually be better than finding an occasional silver half here and there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread