A Cautionary Tale

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of us in the UK are familiar with the automatic liquefied petroleum gas exploders we come across whilst detecting on arable land. You know the darn things ā€“ they make loud sounds that frighten birds and startle unwary detectorists; we tend to give them a wide berth. But are you familiar with banger ropes?

My mate Dave was detecting one day when he came across what looked like firecrackers. There were quite a few and even though they were clearly marked ā€˜explosive component. If found, place in bucket of water for 24 hoursā€™, he collected every one and placed them in his findsā€™ pouch. Who in his right mind would carry explosives in a pouch nestling close to his gentiles (sic) - especially one of the hottest days of the year? The answer isā€¦ Dave!

Rope firecrackers are a slow burning rope with proper bangers woven in at intervals. Think of them as a self-burning rope of loud (very loud) bangs. They are also known as fuse-rope salutes. Because they are relatively inexpensive to buy, I think we can expect to see more and more being used by farmers.

When I berated Dave for being silly and ignoring the clear message on the banger he paused, thought a little and explained to me that he had removed the devices because they were close to an area where children played and he didnā€™t want them to get hurt. Oh, yes?

The moral of this story is if you come across these devices in the field (not likely in the States?), donā€™t pick them up, ignore - they are potentially dangerous! And Dyslexic Dave? After a spot of counselling and further gentle chastisement heā€™s finally admitted the error of his ways.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread