A Cautionary Tale

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of us in the UK are familiar with the automatic liquefied petroleum gas exploders we come across whilst detecting on arable land. You know the darn things – they make loud sounds that frighten birds and startle unwary detectorists; we tend to give them a wide berth. But are you familiar with banger ropes?

My mate Dave was detecting one day when he came across what looked like firecrackers. There were quite a few and even though they were clearly marked ‘explosive component. If found, place in bucket of water for 24 hours’, he collected every one and placed them in his finds’ pouch. Who in his right mind would carry explosives in a pouch nestling close to his gentiles (sic) - especially one of the hottest days of the year? The answer is… Dave!

Rope firecrackers are a slow burning rope with proper bangers woven in at intervals. Think of them as a self-burning rope of loud (very loud) bangs. They are also known as fuse-rope salutes. Because they are relatively inexpensive to buy, I think we can expect to see more and more being used by farmers.

When I berated Dave for being silly and ignoring the clear message on the banger he paused, thought a little and explained to me that he had removed the devices because they were close to an area where children played and he didn’t want them to get hurt. Oh, yes?

The moral of this story is if you come across these devices in the field (not likely in the States?), don’t pick them up, ignore - they are potentially dangerous! And Dyslexic Dave? After a spot of counselling and further gentle chastisement he’s finally admitted the error of his ways.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread