A Christmas Gift.

glasskeeper

Oct 29, 2006
Central, Vermont
My friend Wes called me last night to wish me and my family a Merry Christmas and we talked for an hour about Indian artifacts and what he had found this past year. Wes is half Abenaki and you can see it in him. We would hunt arrowheads together when we could. He taught me how to spot fire pits and good locations for camp sites along rivers and lakes. Wes also got me into the pratice of leaving tobacco in place of an artifact as an offering or a trade for an arrowhead just found. That's when I stopped looking at an arrowhead as just a thing and started looking at it as a gift that was meant to be found. Wes moved away some years back but we always kept in contact. A year ago, just before Christmas, Wes showed up with a gift he had made for me, an 8 inch ceremonial spear point he had made by hand from slate he had found on a lake shore. Talk about a surprise! What a gift this was! I keep it in a frame by itself. I thought I would show some pics of it. Have a great Holiday and good luck hunting. Jim

Attachments

• Wes 1.jpg
    Wes 1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 306
  • Wes 2.jpg
    Wes 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 288
  • Wes 3.jpg
    Wes 3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 283
Upvote 0
OP
OP
glasskeeper

glasskeeper

Oct 29, 2006
Central, Vermont
Thank's bean man, Wes never did say how long it took him to make the spear head, only that he tried to use a power sander to shape them and it wouldn't work so he made them using different grit stones to shape them. He also said he managed to get two spear heads from that one piece of slate. Merry Christmas Jim

OP
OP
glasskeeper

glasskeeper

Oct 29, 2006
Central, Vermont
You're right, Cannonman. It is nice to have a friend like that.That's the type of guy he is. Hope your Christmas is Merry and your New Year even better! Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions