A Christmas story

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
When I was a kid, my family sold Christmas trees. My parents were young and starting a new business. The Christmas trees were a means for making extra Christmas money. Once, my whole family gathered into an old beat up ford truck, with a large refrigerated bed on it, and headed into the NC mountains to get a load of trees. I was probably 6 years old, and my brother about 12. We were on the mountain straight across from Grandfather Mountain, and it started to snow. While the farm hands finished loading our truck, my brother and I started looking for arrowheads. I never found one, but my brother found this one.

image-3573295472.jpg

image-1619437453.jpg

I have been told that this piece is napped from volcanic glass, rather than quartz. It has a razor sharp edge and is paper thin. This is the only piece that I recall my brother ever finding, although, I'm sure he has found more. It is his nicest find, I'm sure of that.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glass. Mabey.. I can't recall ever seeing perfectly clear volcanic glass ( obsidian) are you positive it's not quartz crystal? There is a lot of that in the Carolinas. It's nice whatever it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
Glass. Mabey.. I can't recall ever seeing perfectly clear volcanic glass ( obsidian) are you positive it's not quartz crystal? There is a lot of that in the Carolinas. It's nice whatever it is.

I'm not 100% sure it's not quartz. However, it has held a better edge than any quartz I have ever seen. I'll research in a little while. By the way, thanks for the seasons greetings, that was a cool village pic.

ChargerGuy

Oct 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd guess quartz as well, Herkimer diamond to be exact. Seen points of them in the NE, but I'm sure it got around.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks Charger guy and GA! We had lots of fun with those trees. Today, social services would have been all over us, for the way we sold them. When my brother and I got home from school, we opened the tree lot. I was probably 5 or 6 years old. My parents would still be at work, while my brother and I ran the tree lot. Granted my Grandma was next door, social services still would have a fit. They didn't bother us back then. However, the world was a kinder better place in those days. I miss not having to think about psychopaths.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a special point and is truly a nice one. I have only found 1 tool made from quartz crystal and it isnt that clear. Must of been tough to see it.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd guess quartz as well, Herkimer diamond to be exact. Seen points of them in the NE, but I'm sure it got around.

Herkimer would be awesome. Its a dubbled terminated quartz crystal... in that it has two points.. they are extremely clear. I belive they are only found in one small area of the northeast. Something to do with volcanic ash in the soil that stayed hot for a very long time. I have one..this is not cut.... pretty cool stuff.

ForumRunner_20121226_212316.png

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
My father has two points made from this type of material, found just outside of Charlotte, NC (Harrisburg). I found a few of the terminated crystals that Gator mentions when I lived there, by far they are the clearest of the clear quartz that I ever found....beautiful to say the least.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
1320 said:
My father has two points made from this type of material, found just outside of Charlotte, NC (Harrisburg). I found a few of the terminated crystals that Gator mentions when I lived there, by far they are the clearest of the clear quartz that I ever found....beautiful to say the least.

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. If you are ever in the area again, let me know. I'm only 2 1/2 hours from Charlotte.

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
wells said:
Yeah, i'd say crystal quaztz. All the herkimers i ever seen would be to small for that point.

The pictures that I posted are both magnified. Not to say you are wrong. I'm not sure. I find lots of quartz crystals and quartz points, but this one is just different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions