zoomsszoom

Greenie
Mar 5, 2014
Cheektowaga, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the bank on Monday and my teller notified me a customer brought in a jar of silver quarters. She bought them and took them home and offered them to me for $100. I accepted and added the 132 pre-64 quarters to my collection. I stopped by today and the same guy came in with more silver and some gold coins while I was there! He was just looking to trade them into the bank, but the tellers told him they are worth a lot more and asked if he would mind talking to me. We went over to his house and I was stunned to empty from a Manila envelope: 2 rolls of pre-64 quarters, 1 roll of pre-64 dimes, 4 Morgans, 6 peace dollars, 9 walking liberties, a few halves, etc, and a 1879 $10 gold piece, 1881 $10 gold piece and 1900 $20 gold piece! I went through each coin and made the gentleman a fair, above dealer offer. He needed money to put his wife in a nursing home and we talked for hours. Unfortunately he decided against selling me the gold bc he apparently had 3 sons that might want them. I did acquire the silver for a decent price though, so it worked out well. It's good to know that they're are good people still out their bc the bank could of easily just taken this guys gold and gave him $40 for it instead of possibly 1000s. I was ready to pay about 2500 for the lot. I'm about to turn 27 so that would've been a Happy Birthday to me gift from myself lol.

Upvote 13

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind, reasonable, and respectful. Good to know there are still young people out there that think of more than just themselves. Maybe this nation still has a chance to return to greatness! I don't wear hats, but if I did, I'd say "hat's off to you."

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score, you helped out the nice old man and saved his coins from certain doom. :thumbsup:
Imagine all the millions of dollars in treasure that has been traded in at banks for a few thousand in face value.
Almost enough to make one sick from thinking about it lol :D

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The teller probably paid him $33.00 for the first 132 quarters. You got a steal for these 132 paying $.76 cents apiece for them. No clue what multiplier of face you paid for the other silver coins.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see the tellers weren't the only good people involved in this situation. Karma man!!

Last edited:

Shelbe

Feb 10, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Have used a Whites that I bought when I was 17, it was broken in storage this winter, Looking at a Garret 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will have a good return of karma from your kind and honest dealings. Nice work...your parents raised a fine person to be proud of!!

OP
OP
Z

zoomsszoom

Greenie
Mar 5, 2014
Cheektowaga, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone and to Beez, my dad told me to pay the man 10x each denomination on his silver and 50x for gold. That's probably a little low, but more than he would've got turning them in FV to the bank or dealer. Total came to $400. I had 2500 with me and would have offered it including the gold. Im not buying to sell, but I told the guy if I sold the gold down the road and got much more then expected I would let him know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions