A COLONIAL DISCOVERY - WHAT IS IT? - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Gavinsdiscoveries

Dec 8, 2017
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy holidays everybody! Last Saturday I went metal detecting at a house site out in the middle of a field. The house is shown on 1873 and 1883 maps of the area. The house was shown on a 1933 aerial map too. I was metal detecting for about 2 hours and came home with some fascinating finds! Sadly no gold, no silver, and no coins today but hopefully that'll be coming soon!

My most exciting find of the day was some sort of hand-engraved Shield. It measures 1.75 Inches in length and 1 inch in width. It is comprised of some sort of brass, copper or composite alloy. It weighs only a few grams and has a design similar to that of a colonial Dandy button. Do you think it is colonial? Any information on this object would be much appreciated.

IMG_7335.jpg
IMG_7334.jpg

Next, I found what I believe to be part of An umbrella Runner. It appears that at one point something would have slid through the hole in the middle and had two tacks hold it in place on the sides.

I discovered a 1 1/2 inch dumbbell looking thing. It has a hole through the center and one side appears to have an area where a wrench would have grabbed it.

IMG_7343.jpg

IMG_7344.jpg

IMG_7345.jpg

I dug a piece of Brass or alloy metal. The two pieces intersect and the number 15 has been punched into shorter piece of metal. I know it probably just scrap metal but what do you think it could have been from?

IMG_7336.jpg

Whenever I go metal detecting in this field, I pull up disks of metal with multiple holes in them. They appear to be made of brass or composite alloy and range in sizes from 1in to 2in. Do you think they were one time from the house site, or are they just tractor parts.

IMG_7337.jpg

IMG_7338.jpg

I dug what I believe to be part of a cap to a hair dye bottle. It appears to have one time been cylindrical and has large Pinnacles that stick up similar to that of a comb. It appears that one time been around a bottle so what are your thoughts on that?

IMG_7348.jpg

When I pulled this piece out I thought I was going to be rich! I pulled out the plug to see around silver Disc. I got super excited thinking that I just dug a barber quarter or some other form of silver coin. As it turns out my excitement dissipated after picking it up. I realize that it is not a coin but as some sort of weird metallic disc. It has two notches on the sides. Do you think that's from the house site, or from a tractor?

IMG_7346.jpg
IMG_7347.jpg

I hope the photos load! Any information on any of these items would be much appreciated!
Have a happy holiday!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics 3,4,5 are a faucet valve part and electrical conduit nut. 7,8,9 top item is part of a globe holder for an oil lamp.

Upvote 0

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first item is a stamped furniture plate. Hume's guide to colonial American artifacts says it's 1690-1720 but I've personally found them on 1780-1790 sites so it may have been lost much later. Below is the illustration in the guide book and yours is closest to number 3:

Furniture Hardware.jpg

Upvote 0

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could the long part in 3,4,5, and the parts 6,7,8 all be the parts of an old level wind bait casting fishing reel?

Upvote 0

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could the long part in 3,4,5, and the parts 6,7,8 all be the parts of an old level wind bait casting fishing reel?

It took me a bit of time building that thought in my mind and I do now think that you may very well have the answer. The plates are the end and the bracket is the hook up to the rod and the item with the hole thru it is the part where you put the fishing line. The bottom pictures are not associated with this thought.

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hard to identify as the first item appears to be missing a part. At the center top is where something is broken off as it is uneven.

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took me a bit of time building that thought in my mind and I do now think that you may very well have the answer. The plates are the end and the bracket is the hook up to the rod and the item with the hole thru it is the part where you put the fishing line. The bottom pictures are not associated with this thought.

I was thinking the piece with the hole was meant to wind something. I was hung up on a tuning peg of some sort but a fishing reel would make sense

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread