Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was at a new site.... one that a friend told me about a few weeks back. His friend owned this site and said some old coins and buttons were eyeballed here in the past.

When we arrived and were introduced, the owner showed us a handful of large coppers found on the surface over the last thirty or so years when the field was plowed. So the three of us walked out to the site and I put the CTX 3030 to work.

It only took minutes to find an iron patch. But, to my dismay the only thing that popped up was an old grommet. Not to be dismayed, I worked toward the water source and found another iron patch. This one was much more promising! Within minutes a nice (albeit dateless) Large Cent appeared... followed quickly by a worn King George III Halfpenny. The 17?? Half Reale was next.... followed by pair of barely recognizable King George II coins. The 1832 Province of Canada Halfpenny Token was next.... that was a new one for me! :hello2: The final one was the last target of the day.... a beat and corroded 178? Connecticut Copper. :thumbsup:

That made the total 6 coppers and one half reale.... and only three buttons! Normally for me the button to copper ratio is about 15:1 or more, so this was a welcome change of pace too!

Its a day I will not soon forget, hope to get back there soon!

Attachments

• IMG_8561.JPG
    IMG_8561.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_8611.JPG
    IMG_8611.JPG
    494.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_8605.JPG
    IMG_8605.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_8603.JPG
    IMG_8603.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_8613.JPG
    IMG_8613.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_8581.JPG
    IMG_8581.JPG
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_8615.JPG
    IMG_8615.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_8608.JPG
    IMG_8608.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_8606.JPG
    IMG_8606.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_8610.JPG
    IMG_8610.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 9
Tearing it up lately keith!, great finds

Sheez. Great hunt. Glad to see such a variety as well. It shows this site was active for a long while. Congrats

What a good hunt, and I'd be going there again!

Great digs there, need to get some old coppers again here !

Great finds. Could use a decent copper

I'd be very happy with those results, nice hunt.

Great day out with the detector and a nice assortment of coppers. CT is more than likely a 1787. Can't be a 1785 or 1786, but there's a very slight chance it could be a 1788.

Thanks guys! With what has been found so far, I'm hopeful for a Flowing hair or Liberty Cap to make an appearance! :). The property owner also eyeballed a bust half in the past, so maybe early silver will come out of there too. 8-)

Don- thanks for narrowing down the year on the CT. I did some looking but couldn't come up with anything yet. The other side just barely has a few of the letters around the edge but the shape of the head is totally gone.

Last edited:
You are excavating one old site, that is a super haul. Congrats. Sub 8-)

Looks like you found a nice hunting spot, nice mix of coins and relics!

Steve

Oh what fun !
I guess with the owner knowing that a few coins are there was nice of him to let you have a go. Much appreciation for those nice people for whom without our machines would be qquite worthless. I offered a few things to one the other day, and they said you keep them you found them, but I insisted they at least take a crotal bell , and an old NS HP token, I have lots of both. I cn go back anytime.

That was a great hunt Keith, and I'm sure there is more there, but you don't have too many more chances before spring unless that is a hayfield that gets cut a couple times a year. Did you see the Bust Half? I assume it was a Capped Bust rather than Draped Bust. Also, did you notice if he had any notable coppers among his eyeball finds?

Nice group of finds...the Province of Canada Halfpenny Token is alittle ways from home...

Really nice !! I am so envious of the history you guys have up there but not so envious about your winter weather. Congrats on your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back