A Couple Colonial Firsts....Realey...

coinshooterpa

Aug 19, 2007
South Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro/White's MXT 300/White's XLT/ Minelab Excal II/Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been sooo long since I last posted but I got out Sunday with DKinPA to some foundations in the woods I've been dying to hit. These foundations are loaded with big iron so trying to get a clear signal is a treat. After 20 minutes I made the first find which turned out to be a matron head large cent. DKinPA made the second find and a first for him. A large cent :headbang: For the next hour or so just some bits and pieces but I started walking toward DKinPa and just about reached him when I got a high penny reading on the MXT at the base of a tree. I asked DK to check it with his E-Trac and he agreed it was a good signal and he said silver. I assumed it was a hunter lost coin. So as I dug the coin.. i saw a silver rim and the coin was on edge. He said it's probably a seated dime..I got the coin out and cleaned the front and saw a face I didn't recognize.. Then it hit me...a 1 reale...My first.. after acting like an idiot for a minute DK said to recheck the area..so I did.. and a foot away the same exact reading.. I thought no way.. After 8 inches I saw another silver rim also on edge. I did manage to take a picture in the hole and then removed the coin...Another 1 reale....a colonial pocket spill..another first for me. First one is wore pretty bad but it's dated 1754 and second one is 1780. One thing I noticed on the 1754 is the bottom of the coin is so much lighter then the rest like another had laid against it..I have and eight reale which I laid on it and it matches perfectly. Could somebody have found another coin and not rechecked the hole?......we'll never know...Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• ghost town 001.jpg
    ghost town 001.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 692
  • ghost town 006.jpg
    ghost town 006.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 714
  • ghost town 005.jpg
    ghost town 005.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 715
  • ghost town 008.jpg
    ghost town 008.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 711
  • ghost town.jpg
    ghost town.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 737
Upvote 0

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations to both of you.

That Spanish silver looks so good in the dirt.

You gota love this hobby.

U

umrgolf

Great hunt! The silver with Ferdinand VII can't be 1754, maybe 1824 :dontknow: he was king 1814-1833

OP
OP
coinshooterpa

coinshooterpa

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro/White's MXT 300/White's XLT/ Minelab Excal II/Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the clarification umrgolf... :icon_thumleft:guess I better take a closer look at it.... :-\

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Those Ferdinands are not as common a find as the Corolus reales. I found an 1820 last fall.

Nice going on the Spanish!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 573
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 572

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great score ! Congratulations :icon_thumright: !

OP
OP
coinshooterpa

coinshooterpa

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. And Congrats again to you DKinPA for your first largie! :headbang:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW I Missed This !

I Still have to get down To the State Park
for a Permit :icon_thumleft:

Congrats !