A couple firsts for me......YAY for silver!!!

D

Deadshot

A couple first's for me......YAY for silver!!!

Here is my finds for the past 2 days. Saturday I found 1 coin and some square nails.......Good thing the coin was a 1943s silver nickel (my 1st first). The nickel was about 2 inches down in dirt that is harder than concrete, in a little park that has a school from 1867 in it. I believe there is a lot of silver here, but there are SOOOOO many nails that my dying Classic ID jsut cant sort them out.

Them there is everything else from today. The huige find for me is a 1920s Merc dime. Now I know this is just the norm for some people, but my one huge detecting goal for the year was to fine a Merc dime. Other finds include a cool old bottle (too bad it is broken), a wierd coin/token that says "United Arab Imirates" with a ship on the back, 3 wheaties (1945, 1940, 19??) , 2 canadian pennies (1974,1985), 3 keys, a old marble, 2 cheapo necklace pendants, misc junk, 4Q, 9D, 8N, 34P.

Anyone wanna guess a grade on the 2 silvers? I am a noobie to coin collector and they all look the same to me still.

Deadshot

Attachments

• 8-14-05finds.jpg
    8-14-05finds.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 526
  • Bottle.jpg
    Bottle.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 529
  • Arabcoin.jpg
    Arabcoin.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 508
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Deadshot

Re: A couple first's for me......YAY for silver!!!

more pics

Attachments

• 1920merc.jpg
    1920merc.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 491
  • 1943nickel.jpg
    1943nickel.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 477
OP
OP
D

Deadshot

War Nickels (1942p/s - 1945) were made of Copper-silver-maganese. Where normal nickels are Copper-Nickel.

So not all silver, but still enough to make it come out of the ground shiney :) :) :)

Deadshot

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wondering where your hunting as both coins are "s" mint marks, these are rare on the east coast, so you did better than you think,
and yes the war nickel has silver for those not in the know...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NICE FINDS.

My Favorite, the ARAB COIN.

VERY COOL !

JEFF

buudman

Mar 31, 2005
phila.pa

deadshot realy nice finds. congrats on your nickel an that merc. i think that is 1 of the best coins anyone could find.the merc. w t g
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?bud

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds deadshot!!WTG on the silver!HH

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's

sweet fins deadshot!congrats on the silver!wtg

peace,bigrig

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds Deadshot!!!!

SILVER!!!

;)

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deadshot,
? ? Great finds. ?I got my first silver nickel a few days ago and I'm still looking for my Merc Dime.
I picked up some info on this forum about war nickels. ?I guess if the mint mark is over the dome it's silver. ?Or at least partly silver.

The one I found is over the Dome and it a (P) ?For Pa I think the (S) stands for San Fran in Ca......

Here are a few lines from the department of the treasury on MINT MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?
Why Mint Marks?

Mint marks date from the days of ancient Greece and Rome. The practice was inaugurated in the United States by an Act of March 3, 1835, which established the first branch mints in this country. This Act provided that the Director of the Mint prescribe regulations for identifying the coins stamped at each institution, thus assuring central control of all coinage so that production from the different branches of the establishment should be exactly standard. The use of a mint mark on branch mint coins also insured recognition of the Mint of issue when received in circulation or returned to the Mint. Thus responsibility for the coinage was established.

Philadelphia Mint Marks

Philadelphia was the only mint in operation in those earliest years, and identification of the coinage was not necessary. The practice was continued even after the branch mints were established. In 1942, however, when World War II restrictions upon the use of metal made a change in the 5-cent piece necessary, a substitute alloy composed of 35% silver, 56% copper and 9% manganese was adopted. In order to more easily distinguish between the regular copper-nickel alloy and the substitute composition, the mint mark was moved from its usual position at the right of Monticello and placed above the dome of the building on the wartime 5-cent piece. The letter "P" appeared for the first time on Philadelphia coinage. After the war, when a return to the regular alloy was made, the mint mark was restored to its former position and the letter "P" on Philadelphia coinage was discontinued.

In July of 1979, the Susan B. Anthony small-sized dollar coin was introduced, replacing the standard 1 1/2 -inch coin. Once again, the "P" mint mark was placed on Philadelphia production, this time on the dollar denomination.

Denver Mint Marks

Denver coins always have carried the letter "D" except during the date freeze mentioned later in this text. (See: The Coinage Act of 1965.)

San Francisco Mint Marks

The "S" mark was used on San Francisco coins until 1955, when production there was suspended. Operations were resumed in 1965, but on a limited basis. A supplemental coinage of cents for circulation was produced from 1968 through 1974; nickels were struck in 1968, 1969 and 1970. All bore the letter "S", as did a coinage of dimes in 1975. Cents were manufactured at San Francisco for general circulation, as well as the West Point Bullion Depository, under auxiliary authority of the Congress in the early 1980's. However, in order to assure maximum circulation of this small production, no mint marks were used. Special Mint Sets were produced for collectors at San Francisco during 1965, 1966 and 1967. Due to the restrictions on coin identification in force at that time, no mint marks were used. Proof coin operations were moved from the Philadelphia Mint to San Francisco in 1968, and the letter "S" identifies that special numismatic coinage.

Hope that helps here is the nickel I found 1943 ? ? 2 inches deep ?
Kermit

Attachments

• DSC01687.JPG
    DSC01687.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC01688.JPG
    DSC01688.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC01687.JPG
    DSC01687.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC01688.JPG
    DSC01688.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 386

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Yep your nickel is 35% silver!! and your mercury dime is 90% silver Nice Finds!!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool finds!

HH

Lonewolfe

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000

Great finds Deadshot...now you'll have some new goals to set.Im no coin X-pert but it looks like your dime would score a G4+ and your nickel would be Fine to X-tra-Fine.....Not taking into account any blems.
Im sure that some blowhards might pipe off because they are dug but there is no need to get over critical about common coins.Im sure they are most valuable to you.......Good job and good luck...JO

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on your nice silver and assortment of finds ! And thanks for sharing the pics. H H !

Huntin' 59er

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi

I'd call the Nickle v.fine and the Dime fine obv. and v.good on the rev., nice find.

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005

Excellent finds! Its always nice to get goals met ;)

-Mike

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Hey Deadshot, nice finds. Your United Arab Emirates coin is a 10 Fils and made of bronze and dates from the 1970's. The boat is a Dhow and arab sailboat. Value is about $1.25. If you wash it off and put a little paste wax on it, it will look really nice. Congrats on the silver...Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread