A couple hunts and a darn good shot!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a couple hunts yesterday. The first was a group hunt at an abandoned gold mine. The finds were scarce but it was good to meet some fellow hunters. The first dig for me was an 1861 Nova Scotia one cent (LC). It is in rough shape but is looks even worse in the picture. This is the 1st Nova Scotia large cent that I have found. Second item was the flattened copper umbrella?...Last for the day was the clock gear.

After the goldmine I still had the itch so off I went to a location I recently learned about...almost in my own back yard which was a popular recreational area in the 20s and 30s as well as a Cub Scout camp. The area was tough hunting as it was completely saturated with iron. I did manage a 1912 large cent which had been used for target practice. Someone must have been a darn good shot with a .22. This is the 1st shot coin I have found! ;D. After that I dug the bed post finial.

I also dug something else but I want to do a little research before posting. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 1861tn. 003.JPG
    1861tn. 003.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 603
  • umbtn.JPG
    umbtn.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 604
  • goodshottn.JPG
    goodshottn.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 598
  • goodshottn1.JPG
    goodshottn1.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 601
  • goodshottn2.JPG
    goodshottn2.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 604
  • clocktn.JPG
    clocktn.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 591
  • fintn.JPG
    fintn.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 598
Upvote 0

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post - it looks like the 1861 coin may clean up well.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry_Morant said:
Great post - it looks like the 1861 coin may clean up well.

I'm debating between olive oil and peroxide... ???

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Romeo,
Very cool finds. Great pictures too. Love that shot coin you found. I found an old shot nickel a few months back on that farm I hunt. It had a deep indentation in the center, but the bullet never made it all the way through. I'd hate to get in a gun fight with those guys! ;D
Congrats,
MM

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds, Romeo!!! Congrats!

Nana :)

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds ! hope the research go's well and we get to see a pic of it ! congrats ;)

timbuckII

Jan 12, 2007
I shot a quarter one time 40+ years ago with a 22. I rested it on the bark of a tree and stepped back a ways. When I pulled the trigger something whizzed past my head, when I turned around the quarter was stuck in a tree behind me. It had the same kind of dent yours does. I think I was very lucky that day. I had forgotten all about it until I saw your post.

TC

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That reminds me of when my Dad taught me to shot when I was a kid. I shot a couple of quarters out at the lake and never could find them. I wonder if I could find them now. Great finds, and keep em coming.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff. Looks like a lawnmower strike to me. And speaking of shooting coins. I decided to hole a half dollar and hang it round my neck when I was about 14. A half dollar on a piece of rawhide string was way cool then. Anyway, I sat the half against a big rock and proceeded to put a .22 long rifle into it. I heard a zing and something hit me in the crotch pretty darn hard so I decided I'd better check out. I spent a lot of time checking things out at that age anyway! :D There was a very small hole in my Levis and something was burning there in the netherlands. So, I dropped trou and sure enough there was a .22 bullet all deformed and it was still hot to the touch. Thankfully nothing was damaged and I learned a valuable lesson. The dangers of ricochets? No, unfortunately not. I learned to use a bigger caliber! ::) Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread