A couple more large coppers including a nice 1787 New Jersey!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out for a good hunt today. My brother Tom and my buddy Steve (SteveJG) joined me. We had a couple sites lined up down in Steve's neck of the woods. He lives about 45-50 minutes from me so my brother and I met up with him at 9 AM.
We got our stuff together and were on site about a half hour later. We started at a nice site that has a whole bunch of foundations and dates back to the mid 1800's. I found a few interesting iron relics at this site including an axe head and what appeared to be an old hoe. My next find was a crotal bell.....once again damaged. I still haven't found an intact one yet. :'( :-\ My only other find at this site worth mentioning was a 1910 wheatie.
By now it was pushing noon so we took a lunch break with plans of hitting a second site after lunch. By the way...Thanks Tom for picking up the lunch tab. I owe you bro. After lunch we arrived on our second site. An old map shows two house sites that basically appeared as if they straddled this field. Here is the field.......First picture is my brother Tom and the second pic is my buddy Steve. Both swinging the coils like it was their job.

IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG

After a while of hunting this field and not really hitting any good signals we decided to rethink our strategy. We started thinking that the houses may have only appeared to be close to the field on the map but in reality, were a little farther away. Well we changed course. We had the run of the place because the owners were out of town (there is still a house there) so we began to wander over closer to the current house. I picked up several clad coins in the front yard but nothing old. After crossing the front yard I noticed that the owners had tilled up a nice portion of the side yard for a garden (which hasn't been planted yet) This looked like a gold mine to me so I dove in head first. :tongue3: :laughing7: :laughing7: I hit a few junk items first and then I got a good signal and dug a large flat button. Upon examining it further I noticed a nice floral pattern on the front of it. Soon thereafter I picked up a 72 VDI signal on my DFX. It turned out to be a large copper (holed and lacking any detail) It's definitely a copper. It's much too thick to be a button. Here's a picture of Steve in the tilled garden. Followed by a picture of the second button I found in it....It was literally right on the surface so I snapped a picture of it before I picked it up.

IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG

Both buttons and the holed copper..

IMG_1095.JPG

After another half hour of hunting this area we decided to change locations again. We decided to revisit the site where I found the two coppers earlier this year. (1797 Draped bust large cent and 1809 classic head half cent) I picked up another axe head here and a few other miscellaneous relics including a nice button. I decided to venture into the area where I picked up both coppers last time. I was very soon rewarded with a nice solid 76 signal on my DFX that pinpointed at 5.5 inches. I knew this could be a good target so I dug carefully. When I flipped over the 6 inch plug the coin was right on top of the plug. I picked it up and it was pretty caked with dirt. I thought maybe I had another draped bust largie but then I remembered that it rang up as a 76 VDI. Large cents almost always ring up somewhere in the 82-86 range so I began to think Colonial??? I determined a little later after examining the coin and cleaning it off a little that I had a New Jersey Copper with great detail!! Yeah Baby!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :o ;D Here it is after I got it cleaned up well enough to snap a couple pictures of.

IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG

Here are my finds for the day.....first the non-iron ones.

IMG_1096.JPG

Now the iron relics/junk

IMG_1098.JPG

Thanks for looking everyone. It was nice to be able to get out and hunt again. :D

Upvote 0
Rob, awesome coppas, man! What do you think that little coppa is? Half cent? ???

I am glad that you and your buddies are striking the kind of coins that you want to find! :thumbsup:

Oh, my uncle got a Colonial silver coin at that same site that we hit last Sunday. :icon_sunny:

Keep the fever high, buddy!

Kyle

Here is the New Jersey copper slightly more clean.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 834
zoyboy said:
Rob, awesome coppas, man! What do you think that little coppa is? Half cent? ???

I am glad that you and your buddies are striking the kind of coins that you want to find! :thumbsup:

Oh, my uncle got a Colonial silver coin at that same site that we hit last Sunday. :icon_sunny:

Keep the fever high, buddy!

Kyle
It's too big to be a half cent and a further cleaning hasn't helped any. It doesn't appear to be a large cent. (Not big enough and wrong VDI# on the DFX) I'm at a loss. I guess it goes in the copper slug pile! :o ;D

Rob,

I love your style, man. It is EXACTLY like mine! :wink: :D

I love your site pics as well. It adds to the life of your coppa-seeking adventures! :thumbsup:

That NJ coppa is SWEET! I love you, man! :tongue3: :D

Keep the Colonial passion high!

Kirk

Man that copper looks good. You were right when you said it would cleanup well. First 2 hunts of the year...4 coppers, that's awesome. Next time you get a good signal, call me over and let me dig it...LOL. That Indian Head I found cleaned up well. You were right...it was a 1890(don't know how you could see the date through all that dirt).

Attachments

• IMG_3294.JPG
    IMG_3294.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 790
SteveJG said:
Man that copper looks good. You were right when you said it would cleanup well. First 2 hunts of the year...4 coppers, that's awesome. Next time you get a good signal, call me over and let me dig it...LOL. That Indian Head I found cleaned up well. You were right...it was a 1890(don't know how you could see the date through all that dirt).
Holy cow that sucker cleaned up well. Full liberty on the headband. Thats gotta be an XF coin if I ever saw one.

Nice going on a NJ copper, been awhile since one has been posted. I am fairly certain it is a 1787 Maris 63-s variety, Rarity 1 (Very Common).

I added your coin to my NJ distribution survey, thanks! Your is the 6th 63-s variety identified in the survey, a lot are not attributable due to condition, so glad yours was in good enough shape for attributing the variety. Just over 300 NJ coppers ground found in my survey so far, I know many more have been found but some not providing information. :(

Try cleaning as much crud off the unknown copper, measure it in mm and try posting a closeup of it. Also try tracing with pencil and paper or aluminum foil if you think anything at all is on it. Maybe we can come up with some ID.

Don

Don in SJ said:
Nice going on a NJ copper, been awhile since one has been posted. I am fairly certain it is a 1787 Maris 63-s variety, Rarity 1 (Very Common).

I added your coin to my NJ distribution survey, thanks! Your is the 6th 63-s variety identified in the survey, a lot are not attributable due to condition, so glad yours was in good enough shape for attributing the variety. Just over 300 NJ coppers ground found in my survey so far, I know many more have been found but some not providing information. :(

Try cleaning as much crud off the unknown copper, measure it in mm and try posting a closeup of it. Also try tracing with pencil and paper or aluminum foil if you think anything at all is on it. Maybe we can come up with some ID.

Don
Thanks for the response Don, and for the research. I'm certainly glad it was in good enough condition to ID.

man i'd love to find one of those :o its a beauty :thumbsup:

It is indeed a Maris 63-s variety, everytime I attribute one I send the photos to two of the top NJ experts in the country and they verify, just got a reply back, yes, a M.63-s variety..........

Don

KirkPA said:
Rob,

I love your style, man. It is EXACTLY like mine! :wink: :D

I love your site pics as well. It adds to the life of your coppa-seeking adventures! :thumbsup:

That NJ coppa is SWEET! I love you, man! :tongue3: :D

Keep the Colonial passion high!

Kirk
My style is exactly like yours. After all, I model myself after you. :tongue3: :tard: :thumbsup: Thanks for the response bro.

zoyboy said:
Wow, buddy, that New Jersey coppa is in AWESOME condition. :thumbsup:

Kyle
Thanks Kyle. I definitely got lucky with the condition of this coin.
Mirage said:
Ahhhh, very nice. That copper cleaned up sweet. That is a great find. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Bob
Thanks for the response Bob. Nice Walker you found today!!
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
I agree with Kyle , That copper is awesome.
Chris
Not as awesome as the 1784 half real you found today :tongue3: ;D Thanks for the response.

Here are some better pics of the crotal bell (found at first site) and the button I found at the third site we hunted today. The button has an interesting design on the front.

Attachments

• IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 706
Ev,
I'm drooling over here. :tongue3:
Man, you find some great coins and relics. Congrats on the Jersey copper. Those two buttons look huge! :o
Way to go. Great looking scenery. Thanks for the pictures.
-MM-

Hey Rob, congrats on that New Jersey Copper! That's a really cool looking coin! I told you that original Half Cent site would have more goodies! I would hunt that place to death! WTG! Also, that button and copper, ain't too shabby either! Anytime you find a really early button with a deign on it, it's such a bonus. Finally, another peice of advice when hunting woods, don't forget to bring your coil all the way up to the base of the tree trunk, and then check all around the trunk. A lot of times when we're hunting the woods, we tend to take the path of least resisitance, and that usually means swinging between trees, but not right up to the trunks. A few of my best finds, were at the base of tree trunks.

Here are a few more site pictures. There were so many foundations at the first site I had to snap a few pictures. The last two pictures are of the New Jersey copper find. The first is how the coin looked when I flipped over the plug. (you can see where the coin was. It left a green patina mark on the dirt.) The last picture is something you don't normally see from me. It's a picture of myself. The reason you don't normally see it is because there usually isn't anyone else there to take the picture. Steve was available today so he took a picture of me just after I recovered the New Jersey copper.

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg