Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sky did have some clouds today. I was hoping it would help
and it did, when the sun was behind a cloud. But MAN! Every time
it popped out it felt like a sledge hammer! :(

So, I just hit a couple tot lots & some surface type finds.
The ground is still so VERY dry!! :(

Managed ok.

2016 (543).jpg

One fun hit I got was this one.

2016 (542).jpg

Only 33!? Nail/iron for sure. :dontknow:

2016 (541).jpg

When I looked down, this was sparkling up at me.
Just kid bling, but fun for a moment. Funny, it's
the only time I smiled at the sunlight today. ;)

2016 (544).jpg
2016 (545).jpg

Can't make up my mind if this is a piece of
an older toy car.

2016 (540).jpg

These two guys were in a tot lot & pretty obviously
fresh drops. Usually, I might would bring them home.
Finder's keepers and all that, but, I got a strong feeling
that one of these might just have been some poor child's
favorite. So, I set them where they could be found and left them there. :dontknow:

Anyway, Fishy seems happy with his new ride.

2016 (546).jpg

Ya know....this is the first toy "Acer Racer" I've ever seen.

2016 (547).jpg

Blingie calls his, "Shiny-Shiny Ride". ;)

I know that this heat is just about done but, I won't wish it
to go away, I spend too much time complaining about the cold.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time!

Stay cool!

Upvote 11

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You are letting Fishy drive after crashing into a bus? That might give you some culpability in the eyes of the law!

Nice surface finds though. I would rather have lots of heat instead of 2' of snow anyday

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds. I like the dinosaur.
that piece looks like it could be part of a helmet if not for size.
of course it could be from a large transformer type toy :dontknow:
yes the temp says 79 here and they say less humidity,
but I'm sitting here feeling the same as if it were 90 yet.
am hoping it's just temporary

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are letting Fishy drive after crashing into a bus? That might give you some culpability in the eyes of the law!

Nice surface finds though. I would rather have lots of heat instead of 2' of snow anyday

Fishy's on his own. ;) As far as the snow? That's why I don't hurry the heat away.;)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool finds in the heat! :thumbsup:

I think you're probably right about that piece being from another toy car. Looks like the rear wheel covers and a frame for the back hatch/trunk. At first I was thinking that the hole would be for the center rivet that's usually on the bottom of older match box or hot wheels cars, but looks like the hole might have been for another piece to snap into (plastic piece, maybe?).

As for the heat, I can't wish the heat away fast enough! Is cooling down here and, fortunately, we RARELY get the heat that you guys do. We're in upper 60's now, but looks like it will be mostly highs in upper 50's to lower 60's for this week. Hopefully can get a bit accomplished during these nicer temps.

I like the dinosaur also, but that plane kinda creeps me out a bit. I think it's the color with its red markings, in addition to what this day is.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello WhadiFind,

Looks like a fun hunt! Both Fishy and Blingie seem to enjoy their new "rides". :occasion14:

IMHO: Something to try, I have been experimenting with different settings on the AT Pro and Gold to best find the "bling" in school yards. My daughter loves finding the stuff. If you lower the iron Disc. or run it wide open (by your photo you do) many "bling" jewelry items will sound off from 13 - 35. Of course, 38 - up should be dug if looking for small real gold items, but junk also lives in that region. :BangHead:

Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello WhadiFind,

Looks like a fun hunt! Both Fishy and Blingie seem to enjoy their new "rides". :occasion14:

IMHO: Something to try, I have been experimenting with different settings on the AT Pro and Gold to best find the "bling" in school yards. My daughter loves finding the stuff. If you lower the iron Disc. or run it wide open (by your photo you do) many "bling" jewelry items will sound off from 13 - 35. Of course, 38 - up should be dug if looking for small real gold items, but junk also lives in that region. :BangHead:

Regards,

Doc

Thanks!

I've done some experimenting as well and wide open appears to add some depth also.
I have the sensitivity down 2 notches because I was in a tot-lot and it was HOT! I never like
to dig very deep on tot-lots. :dontknow:

I've come to understand what the ATP is saying most times. I dig my fair share of garbage too.
But, my trash/good finds ratio has improved a lot. I'm sure I leave a few things behind but it's
ok because I go back to the same places much more than anyone I know. (Except maybe, Jeff. ;) )

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Again Whadifind,

The AT pro is a very nice machine, good performance and easy to learn. I use this machine when hunting freshly plowed farm fields, seems to work better than my high end machines.

Today the AT Pro with my help found me my first gold coin; $5.00 dollar 1909 D Indian Head in great condition. I do not post my finds (just me), on occasion, I will bring a few coins or relics to the two club meetings to show. One very nice Tnet member suggested I use the coin as my avatar, certainly a possibility.

GL & HH

Regards,

Doc

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had plenty of targets Whadi.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Again Whadifind,

The AT pro is a very nice machine, good performance and easy to learn. I use this machine when hunting freshly plowed farm fields, seems to work better than my high end machines.

Today the AT Pro with my help found me my first gold coin; $5.00 dollar 1909 D Indian Head in great condition. I do not post my finds (just me), on occasion, I will bring a few coins or relics to the two club meetings to show. One very nice Tnet member suggested I use the coin as my avatar, certainly a possibility.

GL & HH

Regards,

Doc

Yeah, I chose the ATP for that reason and more. Way back in the 70's when I started this hobby I had a Garrett Groundhog(still do! And it still works! LOL ), but I digress. I got that machine down so well that I could tell between targets simply by the sound. When I decided to get a machine to use in my retirement, I looked around and came to the conclusion that Garrett had the best "all around" detector for a reasonable amount. The key being all around. It was universal enough to do everything I wanted plus it had Garrett's lower frequency. Those higher pitched machines just plain get on my nerves! :)

Congrats on your first gold coin! It is a sort of "holy grail" for any detectorist! And, believe it or not, I do NOT post EVERYthing I find either. ;) I've used a few as avatars myself. But, the one I'm using now seems to fit me sooooo well! :)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had plenty of targets Whadi.

That was actually intentional today, LD. Sometimes I'll go to a place where I know it is target rich. Keeps me from getting bored.

Thanks! :)

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND,IT APPEARS THAT YOU HAVE BECOME A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT in not giving up due to those 90 degree days. You still had fun,and those quarters pay for batteries,

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND,IT APPEARS THAT YOU HAVE BECOME A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT in not giving up due to those 90 degree days. You still had fun,and those quarters pay for batteries,

Yeah, bad habits are hard to break. But, very soon it's going to become academic and I will NOT be able to do it anymore. I think I can get by in the shade and I always wander out in the sun. Usually when it's hiding behind a cloud. But, when it pops out, pow! :(

Thanks!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds! Only the most dedicated MD'rs are going to hunt in these hot, dry conditions - and you are a certified member of that club, but in good company! I have taken to running my AT Pro at highest sensitivity and zero discrim in order to find an isolate targets in the rock hard clay areas that I hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread