• DSC00222.JPG
    DSC00222.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 291
Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
nice scrapers uniface, I'm not sure of that material, is it from Tn? I got one that appears to be related to your piece.

Attachments

• phpmoUxI9PM.jpg
    phpmoUxI9PM.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 285

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Uniface, this is my first post but I've been reading this forum for a long time and want to thank you for all of the info you post - I find a lot of uniface items so your info is really appreciated.

I know you said the indentation in your item above is not a spokeshave but I'm a little confused about spokeshaves and hope you, or someone else, can help me. Some say it is a knapped, concave area in a blade or a point but I've seen pics of little uniface tools being called spokeshaves. Are both right? Is it simply the concave (scraping) area in a relic that qualifies it as a spokeshave?

Thanks again!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the blue hornstone and the other burlington maybe? I have been working downloading a materials file. It still needs some work :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Blusey

& welcome aboard !

A spokeshave, to my mind at least, is semi-curcular, or at least ovoid in shape. This begins with a square edge and runs essentially straight. They didn't make it that way by accident, I'm sure, but it's hard to imagine what use they had in mind beside scraping something.

You say you find a lot of unifaces. Where are you located ? It's of interest to know. In some parts of the country, uniface tools run all the way through time. In others, they taper off and disappear by the end of the Middle Archaic. In many parts of Pennsylvania, they disappear early on and never re-appear (unless you count Woodland microblades). So location's important.

I'm collecting useful information here as well :hello:

Thirty7 -- the smaller one's Hornstone. The larger one is hornstone quality (better than some of it) but without the gloss. Tan and grey with an off-yellow band between them. One of the mystery lithics from around Kentucky somewhere that intrigue me.

Glad you folks are finding this stuff of interest. It fascinates me, & always has.

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Thanks Uniface, your info is always so helpful. I'm in Missouri, near St. Louis - seems to be a lot of us here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread