263.8 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20140316_170045.png
    ForumRunner_20140316_170045.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I think you have a few scrapers Paul. You defiantly have a promising spot. Do you mind my asking what river you are on? I ask because of the mussel. I've never found a mussel in flat river. I have found a few on or near Eno. You have found good hunting grounds. The only bad thing is the crop. It'll be another year before tobacco is planted in that field.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still see allot of bare spots in the field. If you walk it you should still be able to find some good ones. You just have to look straight down. Looking across will be like looking at a grass pile. Good Luck

OP
OP
N

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock. Its some kind of cover crop sown in tight rows. It doesnt get very tall. The field has been rained on a lot this year so it cleaned up all the surface material. The field in the pic I've only found four worked pieces and a few flakes. That field has tons of quartz material and I don't have a good eye for quartz points. Seems kinda strange to not produce much to be high ground near a river. Most of the flakes came from a much smaller bare field that has produced several points a few miles away.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try closer to the water. I have hunted fields like that. There might be 1 or 2 dominated areas they liked to camp on. It will just take allot of walking to find those spots. Nice looking area

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Rock. Its some kind of cover crop sown in tight rows. It doesnt get very tall. The field has been rained on a lot this year so it cleaned up all the surface material. The field in the pic I've only found four worked pieces and a few flakes. That field has tons of quartz material and I don't have a good eye for quartz points. Seems kinda strange to not produce much to be high ground near a river. Most of the flakes came from a much smaller bare field that has produced several points a few miles away.
Paul, I am sure that you know more about plants and horticulture than I do. What do you mean by "cover crop"? I thought that was wheat. On my second glance, I noticed it does look tougher and darker green than wheat. What is this, if not wheat? Can we walk on it without damaging a farmer's livelihood? I know some farmers are curious as hell over wheat crops. Others say its fine to walk wheat at this stage. They tell me what I step on will follow the sun and pop up the next day. I'm not sure which farmers are correct on this theory.??

OP
OP
N

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusty. A cover crop is a planting that is often used to add nitrogen to the soil after crops like tobacco and corn. It helps put back in nutritionally speaking what monetary crops take out. Its also used as a means of erosion control. I'm not sure what this planting is. It doesn't seem to grows very large and it looks like fescue. ????. I thought winter wheat got a couple of feet tall. This stuff is tough too, shows no wear when I stepped on it.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Rusty. A cover crop is a planting that is often used to add nitrogen to the soil after crops like tobacco and corn. It helps put back in nutritionally speaking what monetary crops take out. Its also used as a means of erosion control. I'm not sure what this planting is. It doesn't seem to grows very large and it looks like fescue. ????. I thought winter wheat got a couple of feet tall. This stuff is tough too, shows no wear when I stepped on it.
If it's not wheat it must be fescue. I know tobacco drains the land of it's nutrients, causing farmers to rotate crops. I wish they could plant tobacco every year! The snow that we have had should make for some healthy soil. I like the idea of erosion control through planting rather than using netting. Those nets, to me, seem ineffective and make hunting points impossible. I am hearing more and more about no till farming. Once again, to me, that sounds ignorant, flat out stupid. However, I've yet to study "no till" in great depth. I guess it must have its perks.

OP
OP
N

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw some of that netting in the drainage areas. I think they do no-till farming as another means of erosion control. Less disturbance of the soil. Not good for us hunters though.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I saw some of that netting in the drainage areas. I think they do no-till farming as another means of erosion control. Less disturbance of the soil. Not good for us hunters though.
That's what I understand. It's an erosion thing. Instead of plowing weeds under to choke them out, they spray chemicals that kill the weeds. The concept tips the scales wrong in my eye. In an attempt to control erosion gullies, we will spray poison.?? That's what I gather, that may not be the whole deal. Water erosion is not as bad as drinking water polluted by crop poison. I have called changes in the past "stupid" because I wasn't smart enough to see the big picture. I hope I'm blurting out ignorance once again. Time will tell.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used clover here last yr talk about thick. But when they spray it I am hoping it dies fast. If they spray it early it will be bare and then maybe something will show up for me.

OP
OP
N

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm ready for the field to be worked, been thinking about doing more river hunting. It seems like hunting the rivers would be harder to see an artifact.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm ready for the field to be worked, been thinking about doing more river hunting. It seems like hunting the rivers would be harder to see an artifact.

If the river has a flow system on it then yeah it will be tough to hunt. I dont hunt the river near me cause its against the law here. I do hunt the creeks though where I have permission to be by the property owners. That is legal here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread