Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Had a few questions pertaining to some of my first real finds, and how I acquired them. A couple of years back, when I was around 6th or 7th grade, we went to Jamestown for a family trip. We went and walked around the historic site, and as we were walking on one of the paths, my brother found an old nail. We all started looking around there, and we all found some pretty awesome stuff, but we just pocketed it. What I'm asking here, because I didn't know better, is if we were allowed to do that. I was worried if it was legal back then, and I still am. If you guys could help out, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and if anyone's interested in pictures, I can throw those up in a new thread. Happy hunting!

-John

Upvote 1

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help ya with the legality of it but post pics in this thread

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'll tell you. If ANYONE in the "officialdom" has ANY problems with a sixth grader keeping a couple historic nails that he found ON HIS OWN!!

NO MATTER WHERE the site!

Then I for one am ashamed of them!

But, just in case, I'd wait until the statute of limitations runs it's course before posting them. ;) LOL

BOY!! What a world I find myself living in nowadays!!! :(

HH!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'd probably get a more definitive answer if you could elaborate on what you mean by "we all found some pretty awesome stuff"--a pic would probably help.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second(third) it. post the pix and stop beating around the bush. We all know you found it in your back yard(hint, hint) (wink, wink):wink:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, how come your a hero member and your asking us what to do?
Lol, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, (not being rude, just kidding around)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey all,

Had a few questions pertaining to some of my first real finds, and how I acquired them. A couple of years back, when I was around 6th or 7th grade, we went to Jamestown for a family trip. We went and walked around the historic site, and as we were walking on one of the paths, my brother found an old nail. We all started looking around there, and we all found some pretty awesome stuff, but we just pocketed it. What I'm asking here, because I didn't know better, is if we were allowed to do that. I was worried if it was legal back then, and I still am. If you guys could help out, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and if anyone's interested in pictures, I can throw those up in a new thread. Happy hunting!

-John

John, Jamestown? Heck, what does that have to do with anything, as it pertains to this type question? What I mean is, the same type question could be posed of ANY find, at ANY public site, no matter how mundane or innocuous the site appears to be. And I bet you'd find some desk-bound person to say "you can't keep that". For example beaches and parks near me appear to be "open game" we hunt them our hearts content, and never have a problem. Ok, but if I walked into city or state offices, and showed them a valuable artifact, or rare gold coin, and said "Hi. I found this in *your* park. Can I keep it for my own fun and enjoyment? Or does it belong in city coffers and/or a museum for all to enjoy?" Guess what they would say? They'd say "no, you can't keep that, since it was found on *our* land".

So ... the answer to your question is, that if you looked long enough and hard enough, I'm sure you'd find some legal person to say you can't keep that. But so too would the same answer be forthcoming for all places. Heck, the minute you leave your front door in the morning, you're on someone else's property. Heck, if you're a renter, even the place you live isn't yours (so shame on you if you find something weeding the garden).

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a cop once wrote my Dad a parking ticket for parking in a spot that wasn't even posted with signage. when my Dad told the cop that he wasn't aware he wasn't supposed to park there, the cop replied "ignorance of the law is no excuse". I guess that is what keeps people from saying something like "I didn't know it was against the law to rob a bank". I would assume the same applies to a place like Jamestown and whatever finds you may have made.
As far as my personal opinion, it's just a nail. big deal. it's not like you carted off a treasure chest. and, even if you did, in most cases I'm a believer in 'finders keepers'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread