jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To make this short and sweet, I found an old bottle dump on the river bank where I live. I found it while fishing and noticed that someone had been digging out the hillside for bottles. After I noticed that whoever had been digging was only digging for bottles, I decided to grab my detector and make a few quick swipes because some of the bottles looked REALLY old.

After a detecting for about 10 minutes (all I had time for because of work), I wound up with the items you see below.

The one I know is a shotgun shell. My first "old" shotgun shell that I have found. The inscription on the shell reads " U.M.C. Co. No. 12 New Club". After doing some research, I found that this shell was made by Union Metallic Company from 1867 to 1911 until they merged with Remington. After the merger, the shells read U.M.C. REM.

The other item I'm stumped on. I want to lean towards a reigns guide, but I'm not sure. So, any help would be great.

Thanks for looking.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Upvote 3

garbageman

Mar 20, 2009
Joliet, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Tesoro Tiger Shark
images
I think your unknown object may be a modern (but very rusted) locking pin like the one I pasted. -Garbageman

Weborigination

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I'm in Kentucky also. Always wanted to try some banks down on the Ohio.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pin you have I have found with wood attached to the pin leaving me to think they were used in wired fences and wood post/trees. That of course if it is not a clip for a drift pin.
You may always post your finds you need an I.D for in the "What is it" section instead of "Todays Finds" :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Common lock pin, but rusted.lock pin

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone over on the "What is it" section may have figured out what the iron object is. He suggested that it may be an iron hitching post ring/spike. By looking at this picture, I think he may be right...

il_570xN.584424080_94ec.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone over on the "What is it" section may have figured out what the iron object is. He suggested that it may be an iron hitching post ring/spike. By looking at this picture, I think he may be right...

View attachment 1075049

I agree. It looks much closer to a hitch ring. Also shows evidence of being hand forged when enlarged fully.

2-hitching-ring.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread