Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Made it out to 2 more of my previously pounded sites to give it a try in the iron patch with my new F75SE with the small coil and in high speed recovery mode. I was hoping to put myself onto another colonial silver as these sites have given up more than 20 early silver coins through the years. Didn't get my coin, but quite a few other items were recovered. This machine continues to impress with its ability to squeeze out targets that rigorous hunting failed to locate before. Not shown are the many small pieces of lead, pewter and brass that were missed as well. The 2nd pic shows 2 pipe stems with large bores that date one of the sites to the mid-1600s, but I already knew that based on previous finds there. In a third 2 hour hunt yesterday at a 1640s land patent site I tried using boost mode away from the iron patch, and was able to make several deep recoveries. But only one was worthwhile - a slick copper disk that appears to be some kind of early coin. Sorry, no pics of that but there's not much to see as it resembles a large, green flat button. Looking forward to continue to learn the nuances of this awesome machine.

Attachments

• 121214a.jpg
    121214a.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 121214b.jpg
    121214b.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 3

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be working well for you Bill, that is a quite a few missed targets. Gosh that small coil sure looks funny on the end of a stick.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to be working well for you Bill, that is a quite a few missed targets. Gosh that small coil sure looks funny on the end of a stick.

I hear ya Rick. I feel like a blind man swinging a cane.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! i havnt got a pipe atem this year thats rare lol. I think I need to get me a f75 and re hit some of my old sites.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call my small coil the hockey puck. That's what it looks like on the end of my machine. It's so small and light as a feather. I need to use it more and after I upgrade the kids I'm sure I will. I will be asking you lots of questions after I do so be prepared to be annoyed lol

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice recoveries with the small coil, it feels really foreign to me also using the small coil after always using the standard coils. The pipe stems seem to have a larger diameter and there is various dating sites, but I'll post this link up for a read.
http://nautarch.tamu.edu/class/313/2012files/Harrington%20in%20Schuyler,%201978,%20Ch.%2015.pdf

I had an article published in a detecting magazine about a year ago entitled "Decoding the Secrets of Colonial Clay Pipes - a Guide for Dating Early Sites". If you're interested in checking that out send me your email address and I'll forward a pdf copy to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions