A couple of silvers and a target I have to go back for

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I went out to a favorite spot of mine for a couple of hours just coinshooting and got a good low 80's vdi and dug down about 6 inches and popped up a 1952 D Rosie then about 20 feet away got another good 80's VDI about 8 inches and got this 1923 Merc. I got a beautiful high 80's low 90's repeatable silver quarter signal deep underneath this massive set of roots. Sometimes you just know what the signal is and this was definately a silver quarter, probably an SLQ judging by the date of most finds in this area. I couldn't get around the roots to get at the signal, the deeper I dug around them, the wider the roots got and since this was a park, I didn't want to make a mess by digging a trench but I can't let this target go without taking another shot at it, so like MacArthur said "I shall return". Thanks for reading.
HH
John

Attachments

• mve-rhkjwrg-448.jpg
    mve-rhkjwrg-448.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 581
  • mve-rhkjwrg-500.jpg
    mve-rhkjwrg-500.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 592
  • mve-rhkjwrg-475b.jpg
    mve-rhkjwrg-475b.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 568
  • merc rosie.jpg
    merc rosie.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 572
  • mve-rhkjwrg-448.jpg
    mve-rhkjwrg-448.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 568
  • mve-rhkjwrg-500.jpg
    mve-rhkjwrg-500.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 595
  • mve-rhkjwrg-475b.jpg
    mve-rhkjwrg-475b.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 587
  • merc rosie.jpg
    merc rosie.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 595
Upvote 0

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
I can appreciate the effort regarding roots. Had a couple finds which were hemmed in like that. Just have to be methodical and patient..and willing to avoid a backhoe style approach. Lwt's see that coin when you get it out!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
how did you get so dirty john!! i had a signal like that once thought it was 50cents for sure and when i went back it was a indian. least it wasnt junk. willy

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Keep a folding rootsaw when I go out but it looks like you may need a chainsaw.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth the effort nice silver :icon_thumleft: i know that silver sound on my DFX there is still one root system i cant budge from last year and there is silver there >:( Good hunt Dd60

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't cut the roots...may I suggest using an item such as a butter knife...or even a screwdriver. I was digging wheats out of the wheatfield the other day and had to deal with major roots, and the only way I got to a few of them was by digging between roots with a stick. Of course, a screw driver would've been better if I had one on me. Good luck, let us know what it is!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds.......except for that tangle of roots......ouch!! How to get through them??? :help:
Try to dig under and let the weight of the object drop it into the hole you create. (My words are cheap.....you are looking
at it close up.) In parks I have had to walk away from a few......to be able to go back and get more later.
Good luck.....let us see what it was, if/when you dig it. :thumbsup:

Hodr

Jun 18, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Eclipse 5.3 Coil
Don't know if I could have let it go without a fight. Those first couple pics are really nice, you must have a good camera.

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. It's hard for me to let this one go but I might have to. It's a park with a lot more good finds there so I'm not going to ruin it by digging a mote (moat?). Maybe one day, but not now. The credit for the pics goes to my buddy Mark that went with me, he's got a real camera not like my point and shoot camera. Thanks again.
HH
John

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the black streaks in dug silver. Its unique to silver coins being in the ground after several decades. A silver coin against that dark moist soil is always a thing of beauty, never gets old. Nice finds! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread