A couple silvers, wheaties and the strangest thing I've witness while MDing......

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few days ago I noticed a bunch of dirt being moved at the park I had previously scored a couple silver dimes and a few wheaties at. I was stoked and had high (silver) hopes but only came away with 2 wheats.... Disappointed, I headed off to a wooded park and ventured off into some dirt trails. I wasn't really expecting much but ended up finding 3 coins spills. It was all clad but along with the few other coins I found, it was probably my best clad day.

I was just inside the woods off a main paved path when I heard a small group of 4 people entering the woods toward me. I stood up and looked at them but they had seen me already and apparently didn't want to come my way. After some quite discussion amongst themselves they reentered the woods and took a trail that went around me. It was an odd group to see on these dirt trails (its mostly kids back there). These people were some kind of family group, the youngest maybe 30 and the oldest maybe 70 with white hair. I went about my business and thought they had wondered off but when I stood up and turned around I could see them not that far from me. The younger one was standing by himself and the other 3 were standing huddled close together about 30 feet away facing him. I heard the rustling of a plastic bag coming from the younger guy. I turned around and started swinging in the other direction. Not long after that they shuffled out of the woods and disappeared. I ended up heading back in that direction as I had already covered the ground in the other direction. I notice off to the side of my path there was ash spread out on the ground in a circle. They had spread someone's ashes out!! I hope it was a dog's ashes or something but it was a very strange experience.

Not long after, I got called to come pick up the wife and kids. Heading out of the park I got what I thought was a penny signal along the side of the main paved path. Dug it up quick and was surprised to pop out a thin silver ring!

Today, I got another wheatie at the park they are moving dirt at. Later on at another park, I saw the some workers filling a stretch of (removed) path with dirt. I went back this evening and found a silver Canadian 5 cent piece from 1900 in the dirt they were dumping there.

2 other recent wheaties in the photos as well.

zIMG_1449.jpg
zIMG_1450.jpg
zIMG_1451.jpg
zIMG_1454.jpg
zIMG_1458.jpg

Upvote 22

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the silver Canadian nickel. I found one at an old home site out in the boonies in Florida a few years ago. They are really small and thin. Congrats.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!! Love those dirt piles!! I look for them in my travels around town.............

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the silver ring and nickel.
You probably saw a farewell ceremony for a family pet. Nice hunt (s)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have been the dogs favourite wood?? Strange.
My strangest story whilst detecting was with Shaun7. (this is true) We were next to an old windmill, & 3 young attractive women, 1 red head, 1 blonde & a brunette took turns in stripping off & taking pictures of each other. It very difficult to focus on detecting.:laughing7:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, and interesting story. Thanks for sharing!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My strangest story whilst detecting was with Shaun7. (this is true) We were next to an old windmill, & 3 young attractive women, 1 red head, 1 blonde & a brunette took turns in stripping off & taking pictures of each other. It very difficult to focus on detecting.:laughing7:

I've never really considered taking a camera along to get in-situ pics, but you make a powerful argument.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds sir.

I bet it was a persons ashes. Don't let it get to you, people have been dying since the start of time!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice finds and very interesting story! :occasion14:

Thank you for sharing.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You had me going there for a while--I thought you were telling a spooky Halloween story! Sounds like a family in mourning, spreading their pup's ashes in his favorite park. Congrats on your finds--pretty little ring! -Lisa & John

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I vote banner on that story. That sounds like it would make a great "did you ever hear the one about the detectorist behind the old windmill? No? Well he was digging and suddenly appeared a blonde, a brunette, and a redhead...". Ok, I'll stop there heh heh

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds squirrel, I absolutely love Vicky coins, and those tine ones are some of my favourites.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of dog owners will scatter or bury the ashes of their pet in the woods that they used to walk in. I personally have dug up 3 different urns with ashes, pictures, and dog name tags in them. I just open the tops to see whats in the cans ( I have no idea that they are ashes when I dig them ) seal them back up and rebury them. It does make for an interesting story.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and cool story!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds That story is kinda weird and funny at the same time Thanks for sharing it!!!!!!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs Squirrel322! Silver always makes for a great hunt.

I had a similar thing happen to me a couple months ago... minus the ashes part!

I'm an avid hiker\backpacker and have gone on many multi-day trips to very remote areas. The more remote, the better! I'm used to passing people on a trail in the middle of nowhere and saying "hello" or casually chatting. Typically the types of people you encounter in those situations are like-minded and good people. Well a couple months ago I was hiking off a mountain after detecting all day in a very remote location. I got to the top of a steep straight section of trail and 100 yards or so away, at the bottom, was a group of 4 people (middle aged) hiking up towards me. I was planning on saying "hello, hows it going? have a nice day!" as we passed each other.... but as soon as they saw me, they stopped dead in their tracks, talked amongst themselves for a few seconds, turned and BUSHWACKED straight into the woods away from me. Not on a trail... just went straight into the brush so we wouldn't pass each other on the trail. So they were obviously up to something that they didn't want me to see them, talk to them or pass them. I was just glad they hadn't broken into my car or anything (its happened before) while I was in the woods. I'm used to passing friendly people when out in the woods hiking, so I'd prefer people who are up to no good, to stay at home and do whatever they don't want people to see.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
925, THATS A NICE FIND .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread