A couple very special nickels

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father passed away yesterday and while trying to find paper work at his house I came across these two nickels. It's kind of coincidental that I found these coins since the coins that I most enjoyed hunting recently are nickels. I'm pretty sure that these are the only collector coins he had as he wasn't a collector. These two nickels are more valuable to me than any I have found or will find in the future. Just wanted to share this with the community.
100_5669.JPG 100_5670.JPG 100_5672.JPG 100_5674.JPG

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for your loss James.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss. It's a natural part of life, but always comes too soon. You'll see him again some day. I hope the spirit of Easter gives you that peace & assurance. Stay strong.

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everybody's dad's have been dying recently. Your like the 5th guy I've heard of in a week. Very sorry for your loss:(. Keep us posted, we'll be here if you need to chat.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss- may the Lord be with you and yours.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bless you, and your family

You have some special nickels right there.

Big Fat Cheeseball

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm so sorry James. Stay strong. Right now I'm sure it seems that your world has come to an end. It hasn't, it will get better and easier as time passes. I know the feeling, I lost both my mom and dad a few years ago. You need to grieve, but also try to keep your mind on other things that you enjoy in life. Hang in there James,things will get better!

Big Fat

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry for your loss. May Christ be with you and your family as you remember your father.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
So sorry for your loss James, I have sick parents my self, mom has been battling cancer and my father is on pain killers that are slowly taking time away from him for his back problems. I will face the inevitable too here sometime and don't know how I will deal with it myself, try to stay strong, he would have wanted that. Maverick.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fell for all of y'all. I lost my father when I was 25 to pain pills and my mother at 30 to brain cancer. Just spend every second you can with them and you will have no regrets. I'm truly sorry for the losses.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Sort of a sign from beyond that he is still thinking of you. I am sorry for your loss, but sincerely happy that you have something special to remember him by.

When I was a kid - not yet in junior high even - my dad brought his father's old sleeping bag with built-in air mattress home from the attic on the family homestead/farm. This would have been around 1968 or so. Grandpa had passed about 1954 I believe.

Inside the bag I found a 1920 cent in very nice condition. What makes it so special is that my grandfather went on a hunting expedition to Alaska in 1920, didn't see anyone outside his own party for 57 days. The bear rugs (there were 3 of them) wore out before I was ever born, but the other trophies - caribou, elk, mountain sheep and goats and a bull moose - still sit in a county museum after spending a couple decades in the old Union Pacific railroad museum in between the farm and their present location. That penny had been in there all those years because that was the only time grandpa ever used that bag, according to my father. I think that cent is the most prized of all the mementos my dad has of his father.

Rascal

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all of the kind words everyone. I don't normally post things on the web that are so personal but I just got interested in coins and CRH a couple months ago as a result of looking through a British penny collection that was given to me when my brother passed away about 28 years ago. THis collection belonged to my Dads first son. I'm his youngest of nine kids. A month ago my Dad ended up in the hospital and it's been a really tough month. During his stay in the hospital, CRH and learning about coins provided me with some relief, distraction and stress relief and then the morning he finally was able to rest I found these two nickels in his belongings.
Like I said, I don't normally put these kind of things out there on the net but it just seemed appropriate considering the circumstances. Thanks everyone.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
So sorry for your loss James, I have sick parents my self, mom has been battling cancer and my father is on pain killers that are slowly taking time away from him for his back problems. I will face the inevitable too here sometime and don't know how I will deal with it myself, try to stay strong, he would have wanted that. Maverick.

Try to go to a chiropractor for back problems. Trust me, it works (although some only treat it to the point of no pain, not to the point of healing).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread