A Day in the Life

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
So I am winding up my busiest day in town and all I have to dump are $500 of halves and $500 of quarters.

The tellers in this bank have been sort of Less-than-joyful to see me lately. The last time I was in, the teller had to restrain herself from laughing when informing me I was about half an hour too late for them to run my coin.

So I come in early this time, and their expressions tell the whole story. One mutters something to the other, and then tells me to come up.
She takes my coin to the counter and goes to work.

After the typical 5 minutes to run the coin, she comes back. Remember that I brought in $1000 of coin.

"Your total is $721.00".

I repy, "Uh....there is some mistake here, I brought in what should be nearly $1000 of coin."

(She slaps the ticket in front of me) "Well, there it is."

"OK, would you please recheck your tally; run the coin again, or let me buy the bags back, because this is way off of my figures for this coin".

"The bags are still on the machine." she says with a tone that could curdle milk.

"Well, please check everything again, because I am out nearly $300."

She goes back to discuss with a worker at a desk, the whole time acting like I am the biggest nuisance in the world. Number 2 leads her back the machine, and together they pull all the bags from the machine, run them all again, and take a 4 foot long tally tape back to her desk to check out.

"She will add everything up and take care of that for you" Number 1 informs me, and goes to see about other customers.

During the 15 minutes that this is taking place, I have some time to think. (My thinker is kind of rusty under circumstances like these).

Eventually Number 2 comes up, and informs me that they HAVE found an error, and my new tally is $957. Good, we're getting closer.

"Thank you very much. Is your Manager in? May I talk to her?" (They're almost always women out here).

Ok, so now I sit down with the manager. I thank her for the hard work of her people in the branch, and go into a history of my relations with this particular bank.
This rambling story includes highlights like how I returned $100 to a teller when she gave me 1 too many $100 bills, and how I returned $500 because of an error in the same bank in another town. I also pointed out that I caught the error in each case, and I like to act responsibly, but I have a problem here in this branch.

"I want to have a better relationship with this bank" I conclude.

We discuss my coin collecting activities and I agree to be flexible about times when I have coin counted (as if that were the problem here). She agrees to have a talk with her staff "because that was not business-like behavior" (talking about my teller).

In the meantime, Number 2 interrupts to inform me that my total is now $999.21, and counts it out on the desk.

I leave in a little better state of mind. :icon_pirat:

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like this bank is certainly lacking in competence and professionalism.

Also interesting how it took them several attemps to count $500 in halves and $500 in quarters and the best they could figure was $999.21. At least their third attempt was close but there is no way it was accurate.:icon_scratch:

I guess if you ever expect to get a completely accurate transaction at this bank it will be just because of shear dumb luck - certainly not competence.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice story, my bank just gave me the same thing when I walked in with a box of halves. Good thing they are rolled and I didnt get much mumbles. I think I will lay low with this bank for a month. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread