A day of Confederate Camp hunting

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
On Tuesday I was able to hunt with a friend of mine that had done a LOT of Confederate camp hunting in the New Market Virginia area. He was extremely knowledgable of the entire area, knew the location of all the camps, who was in them, when they stayed ect, ect........
It was a long day of swinging, we hunted from about 9am until around 4pm.
All I managed to get was 4 bullets and some type of i.d. disk. Goes to show you that not every day is awesome!!!
Two of the bullets are .69 caliber, one appears to be a Prussian 69. The other is a .58 Gardner, and a round pistol ball.
Not much for 7 hours of hunting but the potential was definately there, I felt fortunate to have the chance to get into a known Confederate camp!!!

Feb 17 2009 All Finds.JPG
All finds for the day​

Feb 17 2009 2 69\'s and 58 Gardner.JPG
3 bullets. 2 69's and a .58 Gardner​

Feb 17 2009 2 69\'s.JPG
The 2 69's, the one on the right appears to be a Prussian​

Feb 17 2009 69 cal.JPG
The one 69 appeared to be excessively "rammed", possibly "carved"​

Upvote 0

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, that one looks like a hat carved on the top of the bullet LOL

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice bullets. Confederate relics are really hard to find. Looks like the site may have some potential.
Dman

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Finds bud. Nice lead, nice nipple protector, and Confederate Gardner :wink: :thumbsup: All days we dig Confederate Relics are good; some are just better than other. Nice finds :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of lead DC.
Congrats,
MM

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The bullet was rammed repeatedly and hard to compress the powder ... bigger bang

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
KirkTN said:
Nice finds. Anymore info on the 73 I.D. tag?

No idea, I haven't really tried too hard to figure it out. The guy I was hunting with says they have found LOTS of coins back as far as the 1600's !!!!!! I know its not THAT old but it could be from just about any timeframe.
It's pretty small and the hole for the attachment point at the top is very small so it couldn't have been held on by much. Maybe later when I get a chance I will put a picture up on the what is it forum to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks
DC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions