A Day of Panning - Just for Fun

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Over the past few months I've had good days, bad days, worse days and now, finally, fairer days.

The SOB that thinks it owns my body seems to come in waves, and it's always bad at the changes
of seasons. Why? Beatshelloutame, but even though the disease does continue to "progress" (an
MD's polite way of saying "It'll get worse"..lol), it is still episodic, meaning I get breaks from it for
a day, week and sometimes even a month. Those days are special to me, as, other than the
balance and hearing stuff I can pretty much function like a normal human. 8-)

Did make a couple short trips last week (3 hrs. ea.) and it was a real battle packing my sluice
up the creek, over downed trees (big'uns) and then classifying, etc. So, instead of all that
work tomorrow I'm just taking along the pans and basic gear, plus a good lunch. Beauty is
it all packs pretty well into the camo daypack (left over from my bowhunting days), with only
the handle of the shovel sticking out the top.

Panning Gear 003.jpg

For those new to prospecting/panning, the above is about all the gear (more actually) than
you'll need to have a good start at getting some gold in your poke. I'm leaving the crevice
gear at home (rock pick, chisels, brushes, etc.) as I'm familiar with the ground I'll be working,
and a shovel and trowel are all that I'll need for digging, but I am bringing along my favorite
moss tool, as it can get deep into the small cracks under the moss and clean out the remaining
material. Also plan to bring along my reliable Fuji digital camera; it's no DSLR, but it takes
decent pics and has a decent macro lens (don't be expecting any big gold..lol).

I may not get rolling till about 1000 (it's 0300 now), but that will still allow time
for all the panning I can handle, as the creeks only 20 min. from home.

Here's a pic of the same area I'll be digging around:

Upper Muddy 070313 001a.jpg

Fortunately, I'll just be working the top 6" of material, as it's a seriously rocky
bank area. The vast majority of the flood gold sits in that top 6" layer, and it's
really just a matter of washing off all the rocks well, and cleaning out every grain
of material from between rocks as you move them out of the way.

Instead of digging and sweating it'll be nice to just sit beside the creek panning. Once
away from all the noises of man, I can actually hear pretty well. There's a large herd
of Elk up there, and they're right in the middle of the rut. Bulls will be bugling in the deep
woods around me, and if I'm lucky one of the herds will cross the creek nearby.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya even my good days aren't good anymore and the bad days are pretty bad but as long as I don't get any worse then I'm fine with that, you can get used to anything with enough time as most people would probably think they was dying feeling like I feel sometimes but it's just another day for me. I wish that I would have gotten into this hobby before I got sick as I could do a lot more without paying for it latter, just got to work slower and smarter not faster and harder. Good luck on your outing and if your like me just being out in nature is a win in my book.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wish you all the best of luck you remind me of how lucky i am ,i am humbled ,thankyou for that.

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After a few hrs. sleep, I headed out to the creek about 1pm. The weather
turned out to be all that was expected..a bit cool, but otherwise absolutely
beautiful...:occasion14:

Got chilly last night, and at 0630 this morning (when I went to bed..lol)
it was a crisp 38º. Decided to break out the 5 mil. neoprene chest waders
I usually keep in reserve for winter steelhead fishing. I hate being chilled
to the bone, and that's what the damp cold here does to ya. Not today!

Made the hike in to the spot a buddy and I have been working, and
got to work classifying a 3 gal. bucket of material down to #8 mesh.
This bank material is very rocky, and loaded with rocks from 1/4" all
the way up to beachball size, so getting 3 gal. of material that is < 1/8"
takes a bit of work, but well worth the time to weed out all the dreck.
I've never found any flakes here larger than about #16 mesh, so the
#8 is plenty large enough.

I always carry at least 3 buckets...one for holding the classified material,
another (2 gal) for dumping water over the material being classified, and
the third serves as a quasi-comfortable creekside seat. The bucket with
the pan on top is full of the classified material...

Out Panning 091613 001.jpg
(click on all pics for a much sharper image)

And a look at the area just upriver from where I was sitting...tranquil as
can be..

Out Panning 091613 004.jpg

While I usually do my panning with the Garrett Super Sluice, today
it got left home and I brought the old standby, a 14" Garrett pan
with the "gravity trap". I do prefer the Super Sluice, but with it's
larger size it wears out the arm after about 20 min.

The material wasn't as good as desired, and there were many pans
today that came up with bupkis, but a couple did hold a few little
flypoops, and in a single pan I found that single nice flake along with
a couple of the smaller bits.

Out Panning 091613 013.jpg

The area I dug in was about 3' from where we've been doing fairly well,
and odds are I just got too far from the paystreak. Yes, even flood
gold will tend to gather in a paystreak running down the length of
the inside bar, and just like any paystreak if you get too far away
from it the gold becomes much more scarce.

The weather is going to be "iffy" at best for the next 6-7 months,
but hopefully I'll be able to sneak in a few hrs. with the sluice/pan
here and there.

7-day-Website.jpg
(just drop the temps a bit, and the weather forecast pretty much look
just like this for the next few months...
bur2.gif

It was a great day, overall, and worth every second of peace and quiet out
on the creek. Did finally see the elk herd, as I saw them in a field on my way
out to the main road. There were at least 3 "herd bulls" in the bunch, and
one of them was a 7x7 monster that none of the other bulls (a 6x6
and a 5x6) wanted anything to do with.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice spot and a small light weight sluice would be nice, that's why I bought a grub steak its small doesn't weigh much at all and doesn't need much water flow plus I could process more material than panning as I'm getting faster and better the more I pan but still have a ways to go yet.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty spot, thanks for the ride along :) ...and I'm sure you're right about that pay streak. Sometimes I use those little wire flags they sell at Lowes to mark your sprinkler heads, buried wires and such...to mark where I've dug so I know exactly where that pay streak is when I come back. Much more subtle than leaving a big hole, which advertises my digging (and might get filled in with sand the next time it rains anyway). Nobody else bothers them or even knows what they mean ;-)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wondered why people keep installing sprinkler systems in creeks in the Denver area!
LoL, good one! I dare you to come to Denver and search for my flags! If you find them, you are on the best gold in town!!

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love our Washington creeks and streams. Pure beauty. That is one pretty flake you found, seems most of what I find here is that size or smaller!

keitha43

Jun 14, 2013
Moore, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LoL, good one! I dare you to come to Denver and search for my flags! If you find them, you are on the best gold in town!!
Someday I will make it back up there to look. Last time was 3 years ago when I drove there to buy my car. Right now I spend my weekends taking care of my father so I have to live vicariously through every one else's adventures.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD - thanks for the mini "gold-a-log". You have a way with words - waiting for next installment. :thumbsup:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Someday I will make it back up there to look. Last time was 3 years ago when I drove there to buy my car. Right now I spend my weekends taking care of my father so I have to live vicariously through every one else's adventures.
wow, tough duty, when the time comes to visit look me up and I'll take you to a special spot.

DD - thanks for the mini "gold-a-log". You have a way with words - waiting for next installment. :thumbsup:
so true, same here :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread