A Different Kind Of Badge

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5
Rat trappers were employed by the City of Charleston,S.C. in order to head off bubonic plague.There was a fear of the plague being brought in by rats onboard ships visiting the port.This is the only badge known.It is assumed that this badge most likely belonged to the Chief Rat Trapper since it is # 1..c.1915

Attachments

• RAT TRAPPER BADGE 002 (2).jpg
    RAT TRAPPER BADGE 002 (2).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,014
Upvote 0

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woh that a sweet find B.H.! I'm certain you could find someone who would pay a pretty penny for that!!

Congrats!!

OP
OP
B.H.

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
Montana Jim said:
I'll be damned... THAT is a cool find! Congrats! I guess he did his job huh?

Mobile Alabama also had rat trappers..in fact.some came from there to train the ones in Charleston..they were paid by the rat..more for live than dead..more for rats than mice..wierd..but thought necessary..

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, that's a nice badge...kinda scaring me about the rat trappers. ;D ;D ;D

;) RR

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is an awesome find. I would probably donate it to the local historical society, as long as you get credit. That way the people would know and give our hobby a boost. But, that is just me and an awesome find no matter what you decide.

OP
OP
B.H.

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
RON (PA) said:
That is an awesome find. I would probably donate it to the local historical society, as long as you get credit. That way the people would know and give our hobby a boost. But, that is just me and an awesome find no matter what you decide.

Sorry but i'm done with donating relics to anyone.I donated some to the museum and now they don't know where they are.That does not make me very happy.

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
That is a very unusual find, but really cool
Nice one
Eddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread