A different type of eBay return question.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fairly tough one. The only suggestion I have in that situation is to list high with best offer to have more of a choice who you sell to. But given how seldom this likely happens I don't think I'd worry about it. You're also going to have Ebay'Paypal a little more on your side for such a situation if a claim is filed so make sure you cross all the Ts and dot the Is on your listing.

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
At times I sell a collection or lot of items, jewelry and coins mostly. My question is how would you handle a potential return of these types of items? If I sell a collection of 1000 xf+ wheat cents, what would stop someone from swapping their crappy wheaties with my higher quality ones?

Personally I wouldn't do it.Grades on coins are iffy to say the least.One may grade a coin as XF while another may say it is VG at best.The only real grade is by a professional with a certificate stating so.All the buyer has to do is say they are "not as described".I think you may get stuck with a bad deal.If you are going to sell them on ebay,I'd just sell them as wheat pennys and ask for the price you planned on asking for them graded.Jewelry?-Same thing.Items must be "as described".It's all up to what you make it out
to be and what the buyer sees when it arrives.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya know what I love about ebay? Avoiding it. Past, present, future.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But not avoiding an eBay forum???

No, I am keeping up w/ what is trending in active topics, and when a friend like Joe777 has a post, I am going to oblige. I post whatever I feel like saying, no matter the forum. :hello:

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I wouldn't do it.Grades on coins are iffy to say the least.One may grade a coin as XF while another may say it is VG at best.The only real grade is by a professional with a certificate stating so.All the buyer has to do is say they are "not as described".I think you may get stuck with a bad deal.If you are going to sell them on ebay,I'd just sell them as wheat pennys and ask for the price you planned on asking for them graded.Jewelry?-Same thing.Items must be "as described".It's all up to what you make it out
to be and what the buyer sees when it arrives.

Thats not what I am asking. If I sold 50 Carson City Morgans and was returned 50 1921p's it would be the same thing. I'm asking about how to handle returns on lots/collections where multiple items are sold/returned.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
To be honest with you i never thought about it … And i really do not worry about things that has not happened to me yet...

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, but I do worry about things like this when I have a large collection of cents up for sale and I recently started to accept returns.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, but I do worry about things like this when I have a large collection of cents up for sale and I recently started to accept returns.

Here's the thing.... Even if they return them and switched up a handful, you're probably going to still get the same money when you relist. I'd really be surprised if this ever happened to you, as it's a fairly pathetic type of scam.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what you could do to prevent that. I'd probably list it as returns not accepted and explain that it is due to the massive amount of items. I'd also perhaps even weigh the total lot to the finest accuracy possible. If you sell 478 grams worth of wheaties and you get 467 or even 494 grams back you can safely assume the lot had been tampered with. If you are selling huge 1000+ item lots then there is really no way to personally inspect each and every coin to match it up with what was originally sold. So yes, the buyer could swap out a handful and you'd probably never know. The only way to stop that from potentially happen is to not accept returns or take a different avenue for selling them.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I had that issue. I don't know coins, but supposed you send a gold ring, and they send you back a gold plated ring. You do not have to refund. I spoke with Ebay and they told me that. Now it happens that my buyer sent back the exact ring. I kept asking Ebay, what is to stop a buyer from sending back a box with a rock in it? USPS shows it was delivered. You have three days to examine the item. Make sure it isn't broken, damaged, or switched. If you sent a certain penny and they sent you a similar one, but not the same, then they did not return YOUR item.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good pictures!! But it would be difficult to photo 1000+ coins..... We do many photos for each listing and have about 20 or more saved until item sells and buyer is satisfied. I have not had a problem myself and do not know if it would help to have these photos, but it doesn't hurt and it doesn't take up any room. I had a friend that sold a PS2 and the buyer returned it with different insides in it. Clear photos...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread