A Different Use of a Seated Liberty

rbarnwell413

Dec 15, 2009
Knoxville, Tn.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, 6X9 DD Eclispe and D2, Sun Ray DX-1 probe.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a strange use of a seated liberty quarter this past weekend. I originally thought it might be a cuff link, or lapel ornament. It's 1876 with a round/flat headed stud silver soldered to the liberty, and polished smooth reverse that's been professionally monogrammed.

Any idea's folk's? I found it on a local plantation dating back to 1795 here in East Tennessee. I NEED HELP!!

Attachments

• 100_0234.JPG
    100_0234.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_0235.JPG
    100_0235.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 6

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure what the use is, but man that thing is awesome!!, id probly like finding that more than finding a normal seated!! killer find:coffee2:

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My educated guess is that its a cuff link. That's awesome! In my opinion that's better than finding the regular quarter.

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, looks like a cuff link, so there might be another one out there (unless it belonged to a 1-armed amputee veteran of the Civil War :laughing7:). People also would carve monograms and inscriptions on their coins back then and give them to their beloved. They were called "love tokens." Anyhow, that is a sensational find!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like a cufflink to me , it was not uncommon thruout the "Victorian era " to make jewelry and love tokens from the current
coin of the realm . One reason for employing coins for this , was that prior to an era where jewelers could go to a "jewelers supply "
to get raw materials , like sheet silver (or gold ) ,A silversmith would be required to cast an ingot from scrap silver , hammer or roll it ,
to the desired gauge , then begin fabrication of this sheet into the jewelry piece . The circulating coinage (whether gold or silver) was
a readily available format - uniform in weight , size and content (purity ) saving a lot of extra work .

I have a "love token " consisting of an 1869 British half sovereign - (young head Victoria ) that has the word Mother engraved
onto the obverse of the coin , and a love token made from a seated liberty quarter (1854 i think ) that has ornate initials engraved
on the reverse , it also is drilled with two small holes as for a button I guess . I bought both of these .

Last edited:

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a killer find! I'd rather find that too!!

OP
OP
R

rbarnwell413

Dec 15, 2009
Knoxville, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow....WOW..... thank's guy's! I wasn't sure of what I had found. Yes, it is something different and something I've never seen before, and I agree with Cjon 455.... I'd rather find this! WooHooooooo!!!

You've been a great help.... thank you.

OP
OP
R

rbarnwell413

Dec 15, 2009
Knoxville, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure looks like a cufflink to me , it was not uncommon thruout the "Victorian era " to make jewelry and love tokens from the current
coin of the realm . One reason for employing coins for this , was that prior to an era where jewelers could go to a "jewelers supply "
to get raw materials , like sheet silver (or gold ) ,A silversmith would be required to cast an ingot from scrap silver , hammer or roll it ,
to the desired gauge , then begin fabrication of this sheet into the jewelry piece . The circulating coinage (whether gold or silver) was
a readily available format - uniform in weight , size and content (purity ) saving a lot of extra work .

I have a "love token " consisting of an 1869 British half sovereign - (young head Victoria ) that has the word Mother engraved
onto the obverse of the coin , and a love token made from a seated liberty quarter (1854 i think ) that has ornate initials engraved
on the reverse , it also is drilled with two small holes as for a button I guess . I bought both of these .
I would love to see those.... could you post for us to see?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rbarnwell413 , I admit that in several years on this site, I have never posted a pic - I have no good excuse , I have had a digital
camera now since last Nov. I will learn how to post pics soon - and when I do, I would be happy to post the two love tokens
i mentioned earlier . Thank you ! I take your request as a challenge to my fear of digital technology .

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cufflink! I'd love to find that. GREAT find--in fact, better than finding the quarter un-altered!

Cheers,

Buck

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's awesome. I say cuff link, and lost by someone who could afford the finer things in life.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep,cufflink....common....but not common,if ya get my drift :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread