A fair amount of crap at the fair grounds

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Crap, crap, crap, coin, crap, crap, coin, crap, crap, crap.... that's how my morning went today. I got up and drove to a neighboring county's fair grounds this morning to beat the heat of the day. It's the same fair (grounds) that my wife and I TRIED to attend last week, but SOMEONE misstepped off the curb and sprained her ankle... before we even made it IN the fair. <grin> <shrug> Oh well, Today the fair was long over and gone. I thought that I would "clean up " a bit if you know what I mean. Surely people would be losing change and spilling coins at the fair! Even if the rides were rinky dink and apparently not very well maintained. <shuddering at the thought>
Well.. I was WRONG! I mean about cleaning up. Figuratively speaking. I *did* clean up.. trash.. but didn't really make out very well on collecting coins. Sure, I found a "fair" amount of pennies, most of them as well as most of the other clad I found was under the grass though, in the dirt. Proving once again that old addage is true, "You can never really find everything." I've been over the same ground many times in the past year or so, and I'm still finding buried coins. <shrug>
A few coins, and a lot of garbage. Pieces of hardware from the rides and concessions..

7-01-08 006hardware.jpg

There were lots of light bulbs.. some broken, some burned out, some still brand new and ready to "light the way".

7-01-08 009bulbs.jpg

I also found lots of broken, and in some cases whole, plastic fixtures and lenses for the lightbulbs I found..

7-01-08 012lenses.jpg

I kept finding these little metal hooks, I call them curtain hooks because that's what I remember my mother using to hang curtains with.. I don't think they were being used for curtains at the fair though, whatever they were using them for, they were EVERY-FREAKIN-WHERE! I don't think they are worth a damn, but I couldn't leave them there in the grass with those sharp points just waiting for some kid to stroll through the park's grass and find one with their foot. Know what I mean?

7-01-08 008curtainhooks.jpg

Of course there were the usual suspects to be found as well.. just about can't go anywhere without finding the omnipresent pull tabs and can slaw..

7-01-08 007pulltabs.jpg

I did find another vehicle to add to "Frodov's Used Cars" car lot.. <grin> Of course I think this one will have to go on the "bargain lot" as it's a little worse for the wear and needs some work..

7-01-08 002truck.jpg

I found a lot of other nonmetallic stuff laying around too, bottle caps, makeup, sunglasses, a "gibbet" for someones Crocs (it's Pooh, and my wife's already claimed that one) and even plastic beads. Most of the stuff went right into the nearest garbage can of course, these examples were still in my finds bag when I got home..

7-01-08 010shades and junk.jpg

I found one lone "visitor" or foreign coin.. a lone Canadian penny.. Hail Elizabeth.. long live the queen!

7-01-08 003lizzyface.jpg
7-01-08 004lizzyback.jpg

Did I mention that I found a ten-spot? <grin> I WISH! I did find this one little corner of one though *sigh*

7-01-08 005tenspot.jpg

Finding the rest of that ten dollar bill would have made my trip to the fairgrounds profitable, but it was not to be. I got just a little change, a LOT of trash, maybe too much sun (arms and back of neck are all prickly now). I simply ran out of time and all the glory faded.. faded glory.. <grin> I found a "Faded Glory" wrist watch buried a couple of inches in the dirt.. no, it was not still ticking, it's NOT a timex! <grin> It's junk! But it was still fun to find it.
Well here's my massive haul of clad for the day, all $3.12 of it (not counting the Canadian) not even enough for a gallon of gasoline..

7-01-08 001allcoin.jpg

*sigh* .. Still though, as with fishing it's not called "catching" it's called "fishing". It's not that you catch anything but that you are in the act of fishing!.. sometimes it's not what you find but rather that you are finding anything. Yada yada yada.. <smirk> It's true, but I still like finding at least enough to cover my gas. <laughing> One thing that is true, though, is that metal detecting is like fishing in that "Even a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!" VERY VERY TRUE!

Happy Fourth of July Everyone!.. and as always.. HAPPY HUNTING!

Frodov

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
TimC (AL) said:
I would call that hunt a success, at least you got out, I spent the week at Boy Scout Camp. So how many cars do you have on the lot now?

To be honest, I'd have to dig them back out and count them to give you an accurant number. <shrug> Maybe a couple of dozen? Nothing really old though, but I keep looking! <grin> Got to love a hobby that gives so much in return.

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
civilman1 said:
I've had quite a few hunt's that didn't even come close to that.Congrat's and HH!!

You're right about that there Civilman... anyone who pursues this hobby, for very long anyway, has the kinds of days that don't turn up much if anything. I've had many "hunts" that have turned up next to nothing. However, it's those kinds of hunts that teach one patience. At least that's what I tell myself anyway. "Patience" and how to find more productive sites. <grin> Still though, as with fishing, even a bad day of detecting is better than a good day at work. <smile>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If those hooks were just in the grass, why not add a nail magnet on wheels to pre-pick 'em up, you know, like the ones roofers use to clean up nails after a job. Another reason for the lack of super nice finds is; Alot of the carnies have their own "Metal detectors" and they scan the areas themselves >:(. I have waited for carnivals in my area to get over with and upon arriving very early the next morning, I see 3 people hunting already, and I go over to see if they are someone I know, But I don't know them, they inform me that they operate the rides >:(!.....Not GE

I've encountered similar situations...the word is out, lol.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I think you have to spend a lots of time cleaning the trash out before the goodies will show up , due to target masking by the trash, still a fun hunt with variety. I know a spot where they used to have some rides but the grass is always tall there maybe I need to take a weed eater and mow it down some myself eh ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread