A few arrowheads from the other day.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went relic hunting the other day and not having much luck with any Civil War relics so spent about a hour and a half at the end of the day on an Indian campsite in a plowed field and found these. Three are complete and three are broken. My brother also found about the same amount. We are thinking about doing some sifting in this place to see what we can manage to find. Anytime I've relic hunted there, if I don't find any Civil War relics I know I can always find arrowheads every time I walk this plowed field. Anyway, I don't specialize in arrowheads, but was wondering if anyone would know age or any info on these? They were dug in Southwest Virginia, thanks.

Arrowheads.jpg

Upvote 0

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must be a nice place to look for points. Have you ever found anything at the Indian camp with your detector? Old dark dirt from fire pits are good places to sift. Good luck! I imagine your points date from a wide range of years.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That must be a nice place to look for points. Have you ever found anything at the Indian camp with your detector? Old dark dirt from fire pits are good places to sift. Good luck! I imagine your points date from a wide range of years.

Hi. Thanks for your comment. I've actually found very little metal artifacts in this field with my detector and it's quite a big field. So the other day I just sat my detector down and just walked and looked. There are some places that look darker and if we do decide to sift, we'll try that. Yep, I figured they must have camped here for a while cause one of my brother's finds was a nice, complete drill and he found out it was around 9000 years old, and for all the worked chert we find, they had to been here quite some time.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Very nice needle or drill which ever you want to call it. I like the Milky quartz triangle. It looks like those, with flat base, shown in Overstreet, as about 1,000 t0 200 years ago. They are very damaged points so I wouldn't try to guess age. Someone will give you better info. Very nice finds.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice needle or drill which ever you want to call it. I like the Milky quartz triangle. It looks like those, with flat base, shown in Overstreet, as about 1,000 t0 200 years ago. They are very damaged points so I wouldn't try to guess age. Someone will give you better info. Very nice finds.

Thanks for the input and for an age range on them. Yep, some are damaged and a shame too. I wish the one second from the left was not broken, looks like it would have been a nice longer one. The milky quartz triangle was a nice find and my first one like that from this location. I also like the one second from the right cause it was so crudely made.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!!!!!! In my area most of the soil is brown or grey, but if you find a occupation site it will be black. Good luck on your hunt.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , the side notch that’s broke I would think is a archaic point all though without the rest can’t say for sure but I would guess you have a mix of late archaic into early woodland era points , would love to see your brothers drill

relichuntlenny

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2016
Christiansburg, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here’s the drill I found:

Nice finds , the side notch that’s broke I would think is a archaic point all though without the rest can’t say for sure but I would guess you have a mix of late archaic into early woodland era points , would love to see your brothers drill

As Dennis stated, we are novices with the Indian artifacts. I really enjoy this forum and am eager to learn! Here is a photo of the drill. A couple of people have told me that they believe it is an early archaic drill, know as a Kirk drill. I would be very interested in your opinion as well! I’m very curious as to what lies buried in the ground at this site, there are so many flakes on the surface!

Attachments

• E4F7CE6D-3730-4674-8598-B62740F9C500.jpeg
    E4F7CE6D-3730-4674-8598-B62740F9C500.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 45

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread