A few coins, some junk and a detectable rock?

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Went back to the in-laws yard tonight and found some junk as you can see in the pics. Also found 1976 & 1977 pennies, 1994 Nickel and four quarters, 1973, 1966, 1989 and 1980. All four were within a 24 inch circle! This is the second time I found multiple quarters in a very close proximity to each other on this property, but no silver :(
The rock in the lower right corner has me baffled, it is detectable on my detector and probe, but appears to be nothing more than a rock? What would cause it to show up???

Attachments

• 100_2257.jpg
    100_2257.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,346
  • 100_2258.jpg
    100_2258.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,337
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
jeff of pa said:
mankind said:
The rock is decomposed iron. It is too vesicular to be a meteorite ! Meteorites are very dense like a trailer hitch ball. I have been collecting and studying meteorites for many years. Cool finds though !!

I Held the rock Last weekend
it is Very light and Reminded me of
coal Slag. (aka, a small black Klinker)

The clean image is much different, thats coal. :icon_thumleft: I live in a 1859 school house and coal was used for heat. :icon_thumleft: Lots of old sites that used coal for heat will have lots of coal to be found. :headbang: I've seen a lot of the stuff and I can promise you thats coal. :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

yep I grew up around hard Coal.
& sometimes when it is a Low grade it
dosn't burn to ash.
Especially if there is iron ore in it.

Usually it burns Red (Redish Ash)
But poor coal turns to Red or Black Klinkers
that jam up the coal Grates on occasion.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Several suggest coal. Anthracite? Has anyone found coal with a detector?

Others suggest klinkers. Familiar with those, since I live in a state where timber was once king, and wood chips/sawdust/wood debris often burnt to provide power for the lumber mills. Klinkers here were metal debris lodged inside the timber, which eventually melted in the furnaces, producing a kind of low-grade iron ore. Possible, I suppose. A famous meteor-wrong was found inside a smoldering tree in Central Oregon years ago. Turned out to be something like a klinker, though. Made Time Magazine, as I recall, which also thought it was a meteorite. I've got the citation if anyone's interested.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Several suggest coal. Anthracite? Has anyone found coal with a detector?

Others suggest klinkers. Familiar with those, since I live in a state where timber was once king, and wood chips/sawdust/wood debris often burnt to provide power for the lumber mills. Klinkers here were metal debris lodged inside the timber, which eventually melted in the furnaces, producing a kind of low-grade iron ore. Possible, I suppose. A famous meteor-wrong was found inside a smoldering tree in Central Oregon years ago. Turned out to be something like a klinker, though. Made Time Magazine, as I recall, which also thought it was a meteorite. I've got the citation if anyone's interested.

Pure Coal no.

Coal and Iron ore yes

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djm of PA said:
here are some of the requested clean pics, still has the appearance of coal and is not metal, but detectable still.......

Looks like 'coke' to me. We dig tons of it every week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread