Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wells said:
M O O O S E ? ?

You bet, we have quite a few moose here. Most are in or around Rocky Mountain National Park which I stay away from due to crowds. The one in the pic was taken in the Grand Mesa National Forest. We'd have more but every year elk hunters knock off a few not knowing the difference. This year alone we lost nine or so. A few years back there was one mistakingly shot by a guy in the Sheep Creek area within sight and 200 yards from our camp, this dude thought he was filling his elk tag. After he got up on it he realized what he did he just up and left. Moose season was over. Spotting scopes saw the whole thing including his plate number and when tracked down by the DOW he denied it at first then broke down. When all was said and done he probably could have gone to Africa and hunted the big five for less, lol.

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a Shiras Moose, a sub- species

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome shots, Phil---love the mulie picture!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics! Lots of moose here in Summit County, CO too. They can be aggressive. The local paper finally told people to quit sendin in moose pics. Watch for them on I-70 at night cause they stand tall and will come right through the windshield. I can't feature a hunter mistakin a moose for an elk, no wait, I can, I visit with tourists all the time. I have heard if you mistakenly shoot one, report it immediately to DOW and it might go easier with you. DOW here in Colorado puts forth a pretty good effort to hunt down poachers and license violators.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions