Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Sunday I revisited a park that was once a silver mine. It has been pounded over and over but every once in a while it will give up a pleasant surprise, My last trip there I managed to recover a 1917d Mercury Dime. Missed the key date by one year.
I started swinging the Deus by a bunch of trees that are surrounded by brush and Mosquitoes. I made sure to apply my Deep Woods Off before walking away from the bike. My first target was a 1908 V nickel. It took some cleaning before I could just make out the date through the toast. Another really good signal not far from where I dug the "V" was under a root. I stayed with it for a good 20 minutes, As I got deeper, I kept thinking, Big silver or a can. I finally got it out and what a surprise. It's a 5 or 6 ounce fishing sinker, No water around here, so what in the ,,,,,
There isn't much clad to be had which kept me focused on deep signals. I did manage to get 7 Wheat Pennies. Five of them were pretty deep. I'm talking 8 or 9 inches. They were all separate targets and not even close enough to be considered part of a spill. I say that because when I got theses crusty little buggers home and started to clean them,, I was baffled. The first four Wheaties that I cleaned were all 1919's. There was a 41 and a 56. One wheat penny needed to be soaked in oil overnight. It turned out to be a 1909. I always enjoy digging a first year Lincoln. I have yet to dig a VDB, but I'll keep trying.
IMG_4378.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4371.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there used to be a silver mine in NYC?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a very nice hunt ATW! Nice saves.

I wonder, how much difference in depth have you noticed between all your detectors?
I know it's all condition oriented, different tools for different jobs. But, have you noticed much?

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bunch of deep copper pennies and dry land sinker - "congrats" on your finds and thanks for sharing your pictures and story with all us. Wish you many more great finds while out dirt fishing.

Texas ED

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin recoveries! Sometimes it's fun to really work a place and find a few surprise keepers. :occasion14:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love digging wheats, I always feel a silver could be next. That makes your hunt a good one in my book. Finding the v-nickel was a bonus and that 1909 a little extra high hoping to see that VDB.
I did get lucky last year and found my one and only 1909 VDB. Comgrats!!

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a very nice hunt ATW! Nice saves.

I wonder, how much difference in depth have you noticed between all your detectors?
I know it's all condition oriented, different tools for different jobs. But, have you noticed much?

I don't like to compare detectors openly. I noticed that you are swinging an AT PRO. My deepest coin with the PRO was a Mercury Dime at 10 inches. Both the CTX and The DEUS will get that depth. The Etrac has woken me up with a scream or two by going over a silver coin. It too can go pretty deep and caught numerous dimes on edge. They're all great machines but I'm starting to favor the DEUS. A close 2nd is the CTX. Great separation and depth. Still trying to discipline myself not to dig those shallow steel bottle caps that the DEUS really zooms in on.
If I was to recommend an upgrade from the AT PRO, I would have to say,, go with an Etrac.
It goes deep, ignores steel bottle caps, and screams when it goes over silver.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling those wheats ATW. I know I dug my share of them Sat - Mon. I'm also looking for my 1st VDB.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to persevere, ATW! Great coins, and I'll bet there are more at that spot so keep going off of the deep end...

deep thoughts.jpg

Sub:laughing7:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice wheats! Even when the silver is scarce, the wheats keep me going. Thanks for the observations on the different metal detectors. Very interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread